Thread: Baluster, Baluster - Post and Baluster - Panel

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Baluster, Baluster - Post and Baluster - Panel

Interesting that the 46 results from my AUGI search under Baluster did not get me an answer to these questions. Difficult to believe I am the only one wondering about this. Not a high priority since I am mostly indulging my curiosity.

First, what is the difference between Baluster, Baluster - Post and Baluster - Panel templates? Practically, I cannot find anything other than the convenience of having a few more reference planes with parameters prepared in advance. Can use them interchangeably with no problems.

Second, why is there a visibility parameter locked into the template called Post? Works exactly like any other visibility parameter I create myself. If I do not want something to display, why model it? Cannot think of any practical reason to lock it into a template.

Finally, why are all OOTB families done with voids at the Top and Bottom Cut Angle? Other than using it for a turned post where you have no choice, what is the point? If the extrusion is created from an elevation view for anything orthogonal, it is less stuff to manage and draw. Why add unnecessary complication and content?

Thanks in Advance

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Baluster, Baluster - Post and Baluster - Panel

Quote Originally Posted by phyllisr View Post
    First, what is the difference between Baluster, Baluster - Post and Baluster - Panel templates? Practically, I cannot find anything other than the convenience of having a few more reference planes with parameters prepared in advance. Can use them interchangeably with no problems.
    I don't believe I can answer all of your questions, hopefully Phil Read will see this and chime in. A baluster panel family is for mesh, or ornate style railings. They tend to have fixed widths. A Baluster, cannot necessarily be used as a corner post in a railing family. I believe the Baluster - Post can if the visibility for a post is turned on. It can still be used as a baluster as well.

Second, why is there a visibility parameter locked into the template called Post? Works exactly like any other visibility parameter I create myself. If I do not want something to display, why model it? Cannot think of any practical reason to lock it into a template.
    See item above.

Finally, why are all OOTB families done with voids at the Top and Bottom Cut Angle? Other than using it for a turned post where you have no choice, what is the point? If the extrusion is created from an elevation view for anything orthogonal, it is less stuff to manage and draw. Why add unnecessary complication and content?
    The void is what allows the top ans bottom edges of the geometry to have varying angles to those places of the family. Because posts may be placed both along the slope, and the flat landing of a stay, this top and bottom plane angles needs to be "adjustable" to match either condition. Otherwise Revit (or us) would have to create separate types within the family for every different angle.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Baluster, Baluster - Post and Baluster - Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    The void is what allows the top and bottom edges of the geometry to have varying angles to those places of the family
    Thanks for the partial attempt! Actually, I understand why the slope is part of the template and have been making balusters for a long time. My question was about the void. Other than a circular extrusions or revolves, aligning and locking to the slope reference works as well as creating the void and is simpler. Just a stretgyu issue - why make a void unless it is critical to the family? Extrude from an elevation and use only the slope reference planes.