Thread: Plotting with Configuration vs Plotting using Layouts in VBA

Login to Give a bone

Question Plotting with Configuration vs Plotting using Layouts in VBA

I'm interested in finding out the differences between plotting using a Configuration file .pc3, or plotting using a layout. It seems that when you define a layout you are also selecting a configuration. So the layout references a configuration. Is that true?

I'm setting up a batch plotting routine as a part of some other work. I control the plot settings through an xml configuration file. I'm trying to decide if I need to allow a setting for both the configuration file (pc3) and the layout, or if the layout is setup correctly, do I still need to set the configuration?

If I have a custom configuration and a layout. Do I first need to add the configuration to the configuration collection then plot referencing the layout? I'm worried that the user will not have the correct configuration unless I set it automatically.

As I understand it, the configuration is global to all drawings, the layout is specific to each drawing. Do I need to deal with both to protect my application against failure? In other words I don't want to have to rely on the user to have set the configuration in the layout. But I still have to plot a named layout.

I have seen a few examples of this, but it is not clear what the real requirements are? Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plotting with Configuration vs Plotting using Layouts in VBA

I think that you are confusing a pc3 with a PlotConfiguration object. A pc3 file is like a wrapper for a system printer. It stores the printer settings, paper size, rotation, etc. Whereas, a PlotConfiguration object is a logical representation of all the Layout object's plotting properties. What might be adding to the confusion is that you specify the pc3 file name using Layout.ConfigName. This is the name of the pc3 file. You might think of this as a "plotter" configuration. A PlotConfiguration is also called a Named Page Setup in the plot dialog.
    You can use your xml file to set a PlotConfiguration's properties and then copy them to the layout or set the layout's properties directly. You don't really need the xml though, since the PlotConfiguration is saved with the dwg. You can use ObjectDbx to set/retrieve the PlotConfigurations in the background. I have a project on the Exchange that demonstrates this. Look for PlotConfigs.dvb.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

HI. It has been a long time..... but i'm very interested in PlotConfigs.dvb. Where can I find it? I can't find it in apps.autodesk.com
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

The Exchange is an old system we used to have for sharing files. I don't have that dvb anymore, but I still have some of the code. What were you interested in doing?

Login to Give a bone

I have a lot o file dwg, each with different drawings in the model area. For each dwg I wanto to create a layout that fit the extenction of the model. I want to avoid to set up a new custom new paper size for each dwg

Login to Give a bone

It sounds like you just need one layout with a viewport that is scaled to your model.

Login to Give a bone

No.I should put a single image into a single dwg attached as external reference. I and i have to do this work for ~ 500 jpg files. At the end of this work i should have one image<--> one dwg with one layout--> layout viewport scaled 1:1 in order to not deform the image.
    Each image is different in height and lenght and while I can automatically create a viewport, attach the image and rename a layout I can't create a correct paper size to match height and lenght.

Login to Give a bone

The layout height and width is the size of paper available and that is determined by the printer. Does your printer support the paper sizes you have in mind? You may have to have a paper size larger than the image and the viewport sized to the image, but it still depends on the image not being too large.