Thread: incident solar radiation on inclined faces calculation

Login to Give a bone

Default incident solar radiation on inclined faces calculation

hi all

I'm just trying to do some simple validation tests for my locations weather datas in ecotect.
    I derived weather data from meteonorm and ecotect calculates for the Global_hor_Radiation the same values as meteonorm with the given Beam and Diffuse_hor_Radiation.
    calculated in Analysis->Solare Exposure->Incident

I made a cube of 10x10x10 meter for testing the incident solar radiation on inclined faces.
    The Calculate -> Solar Access Analysis -> Incident Solar Radiation (Cumulative per Month) gives for the horizontal surface (roof) the ca. same value as the above calculation,
    but for inclined surfaces (north-, east-, south-, west-elevations) the values are ca. a third to low in comparision to meteonorm.

Looking at the basic data of a selected surface, there are three attributes values while atribute1 is value containig the solar radiation. assuming atribute1=atribute2 + atribute3, i guess that atribute 3 is the diffuse component of the radiation.

So my question is, how is the diffuse radiation for inclined surfaces calculated and is there any ground reflection or albedo taken into account?

-rpict
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: incident solar radiation on inclined faces calculation

make sure you are using the correct weather file (.wea).

i've always had better, and perhaps more trust worthy data, when running the solar rad calc on a surface subdivision grid that i create on top of the surface/object being analyzed. keeping the grid a few inches/mm off of the surface ensures clean data return.
    (see tower_with_grid.jpg)

re. ground reflection.
    my method - you must tell ecotect that a particular surface is reflective, by tagging an object, that will represent the ground surface, via
    Shadow Settings>Tag Objects As>Reflector.

for testing, i sometimes put some sort of temporary object, like a cube, in front of the targeted object to see if my calc is running correctly.
    (see tower_with_test_prop.jpg)

hope some this helps.

Login to Give a bone

here are the images mentioned in the above post of mine...my bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Hello All,

I'm running a solar access analysis over a huge development and i want to know the overshadowing effects of the surrounding buildings.
    the methodology apply in this case is to modified the surface and trim, after doing this i perform the calculation following the steps in the wizard, but surprise is taken more than two days to give some results, this is normal or can be another way to run a fast calculation? for example i'm running again the calculation as assigning the zone as thermal to increase the speed still waiting for results but still a lot of computational time.
    Regarding keeping the grid off from the surface … how many (mm) will be optimize degree of separation?
    About the albedo, normally Ecotect will take into account it when running a incident solar irradiation calc? or must be assign the reflectance properties to the surrounding elements?

Kind regards,