Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct Connector on a Generic Model

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Duct Connector on a Generic Model

I apologize to anyone who may have answered this question at one time or another.....I have added an Exhaust Duct Connector to a generic Model and loaded it into a project, the issue I am having is that I am not able to see the duct connector no matter what discipline I set the view to and where ever the View Range is set to doesn't allow for the connector to be visible/useful. Does anyone have any advise for me. The model is as mentioned a Generic Family and is actually a Import Symbol that makes up the geometry of the family. What I did was added a 1/16" extrusion to where I am to tie the Exhaust Duct to the piece of equipment, it is clearly visible in the Family file but once loaded into he project it is like it doesn't exist. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Duct Connector on a Generic Model

May I ask why you used a generic model?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I didn't do it....I swear. That is the way the ARCHITECTURAL folks set it up. What it is is a Lab Hood. The Arch Group her at Hart did the floor plan. They recieved a file (Not a Revit family) from the hood manufacturer and "created" it as a Generic Model.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by elaforge View Post
    I didn't do it....I swear. That is the way the ARCHITECTURAL folks set it up. What it is is a Lab Hood. The Arch Group her at Hart did the floor plan. They recieved a file (Not a Revit family) from the hood manufacturer and "created" it as a Generic Model.
    You can change the category yourself pretty easily. Select the family and hit the "Edit Family" button. Once in the family editor, go to Category and Parameters and select the appropriate category. Save the file and re-load into your project.

Now, about the connector... In the family you can see the rectangular (or circular) boundary of the connector. However, once in the project environment, you will not be able to see this boundary. If you select the component, you will see a little crosshair in a box. That is the centerpoint of the duct connector. Is this what you are experiencing?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The reason why the hood Families have been put into the project is because that is ONE of the FEW Family Types that are "cutable" and the ARCHITECTS need to show what is inside of the hoods on their section views without setting the view to wireframe and setting the front face of the hood ISN'T an option cause there are times where we don't necessarily want to see inside the hood.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Duct Connector on a Generic Model

Quote Originally Posted by cporter.207875 View Post
    Now, about the connector... In the family you can see the rectangular (or circular) boundary of the connector. However, once in the project environment, you will not be able to see this boundary. If you select the component, you will see a little crosshair in a box. That is the centerpoint of the duct connector. Is this what you are experiencing?
    I am not able to see the "crosshair" in either plan (no matter where I put the cut plane ot the top of the View Range) or Section.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by elaforge View Post
    I am not able to see the "crosshair" in either plan (no matter where I put the cut plane ot the top of the View Range) or Section.
    The hood isn't part of a linked file, is it?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Duct Connector on a Generic Model

Nope, not in a linked file. We are a multi-discipline firm and we have decided to use 1 file for our smaller projects and have had good luck with it so far.

I am starting to think that I am going to have to just create a separate family made up of a parametric extrusion and a duct connector and locate it within the project at the location of the exhaust outlet on the hood. THIS IS NOT IDEAL and as far as I'm concerned IS NOT the way I should have to approach this issue but I need to move forward here and see NO other solution at this point. PLEASE HELP if you have any suggestions PLEEEEASE.....

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Can you post the family?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Here is the family. Thanks for the help guy and gals.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast