Thread: Custom Tool Pallets/Catalog

Login to Give a bone

Default Custom Tool Pallets/Catalog

I have a question about tool pallets. We recently had an IT company come in and change our servers over to a remote server in Utah. My custom tool pallets were on a local server, they moved it all over to the remote server and named it the same thing but, my tool pallets wont work. I get the following error:

A style or definition could not be located for this tool.
    Please check the tool settings for the following possible causes.
    -Location drawing is not availible
    -Style or definition does not exist in current drawing.

I have checked the file path for my tools to make sure it is correct, and I have opened up the drawings that the tools are in without problem. I am at a total loss as to what happened when they transferred data. If I go to the style manager and copy it into the current drawing that I am working in it will work but I should not have to do that every time.

I would appreciate any insite as to what I am doing wrong.

Heather

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Tool Pallets/Catalog

As you know many tools on the pallete automatically import styles and definitions for you, if they do not already exist in the drawing. It sounds like the tools are having problems importing this stuff from the new server. One solution would be to import the styles and definitions manually into your drawing template file. This way each new drawing will have them ready to go and the tools wont need to copy them from the server.

You could also keep these styles and definitions in a local file, and set your tools to read from that instead of the server.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hulrich View Post
    I have a question about tool pallets. We recently had an IT company come in and change our servers over to a remote server in Utah. My custom tool pallets were on a local server, they moved it all over to the remote server and named it the same thing but, my tool pallets wont work. I get the following error:

A style or definition could not be located for this tool.
    Please check the tool settings for the following possible causes.
    -Location drawing is not availible
    -Style or definition does not exist in current drawing.

I have checked the file path for my tools to make sure it is correct, and I have opened up the drawings that the tools are in without problem. I am at a total loss as to what happened when they transferred data. If I go to the style manager and copy it into the current drawing that I am working in it will work but I should not have to do that every time.

I would appreciate any insite as to what I am doing wrong.

Heather
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong. If they transfered the Styles and anything else to a different server, then the mapped drive letter, path, and directory structure needs to be EXACTLY the same for it to work. Alternatively, whatever they changed it to, you'll have to change in the Search Path's in the Options > Files dialog box.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stykface View Post
    Alternatively, whatever they changed it to, you'll have to change in the Search Path's in the Options > Files dialog box.
    I don't belive that will work for tool palette tools. The content file's location is part of the data stored in the ATC file.

To the OP, the ATC files are just XML-based files, so at worst case, identify the new file path and use XML Notepad or some other XML editor to edit the ATC files directly for the new path.

You will then need to recreate your catalog (or fix all those ATC files!) to archive the changes.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Custom Tool Pallets/Catalog

I opened each of the drawing files and went to the style manager and copied them into my template. For the most part they all work with the exception of the door/window tags. Hopefully I will be able to get those to work if not I dont think that they will be too bad to recreate. Thanks for all of your thoughts and imput it has helped tremendously!

Heather

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Well then why would it be having issues in the first place? I just figured "new server" would mean new path. That would be my first guess anyways, but ya good point about the ATC file, didn't think of that.

I guess this does make sense, since the Palettes are technically "there" now that I re-read the post, so the path is correct (assuming, anyways).

Login to Give a bone

Heather, did you ever solve the tool pallet issue?