Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ new keyboard shortcuts?

Login to Give a bone

Default Help w/ new keyboard shortcuts?

Sure would be nice if there were a way to import the old shortcuts from the old text file, since it wipes out all the ones that were set up before.

Anyway, I'm used to hitting "M+spacebar" to invoke the Move command when an object is selected. With my left hand resting on the keyboard, I push M with my index finger, and the spacebar with my thumb. Very little effort, even less than hitting MM (I reassigned the Mirror shortcut).

In the old shortcuts text file, I was able to set this up by putting my MM shortcut in that top-most section of the text file, which were the commands given priority. It appears this new keyboard shortcuts editor has no provisions for such prioritization of shortcuts.

Right now when I hit M+spacebar, the Match Type command is invoked (shortcut MA). I tried changing my Move command to M1, thinking it would put it before MA. No luck. In fact it puts M1 last on the list of shortcuts starting with M. What sort of madness is that?

So are the shortcuts saved in a different type of file now? I noticed my original Keyboard Shortcuts text file wasn't touched, and if I hit Export it creates an XML file.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help w/ new keyboard shortcuts?

This is SO ANNOYING!!! We can no longer 'sort' the order that keyboard shortcuts show up with 'common' first characters.

And it seems that it is impossible to add a keyboard shortcut for 'Temporary' Hide / Isolate etc. I use these all the time!

So while the update is handy, it is actually causing productivity LOSS at the moment!

Anyone from Autodesk have a comment?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Sure would be nice if there were a way to import the old shortcuts from the old text file, since it wipes out all the ones that were set up before.

Anyway, I'm used to hitting "M+spacebar" to invoke the Move command when an object is selected. With my left hand resting on the keyboard, I push M with my index finger, and the spacebar with my thumb. Very little effort, even less than hitting MM (I reassigned the Mirror shortcut).

In the old shortcuts text file, I was able to set this up by putting my MM shortcut in that top-most section of the text file, which were the commands given priority. It appears this new keyboard shortcuts editor has no provisions for such prioritization of shortcuts.

Right now when I hit M+spacebar, the Match Type command is invoked (shortcut MA). I tried changing my Move command to M1, thinking it would put it before MA. No luck. In fact it puts M1 last on the list of shortcuts starting with M. What sort of madness is that?

So are the shortcuts saved in a different type of file now? I noticed my original Keyboard Shortcuts text file wasn't touched, and if I hit Export it creates an XML file.
    Patricks,
    I think its hidden ! but, you can look in the Revit Architecture 2010\Program\keyboard shortcuts.log file which lies above the keyboard shortcuts.txt file.
    It only notes how many shortcuts have been recorded but does not have any data on the contents.
    I agree its a bummer but the new editor is so much cleaner to work with and, its great that this can be done on the fly at last. That, is a welcome improvement.
    regards
    trombe

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by luke.s.johnson View Post
    And it seems that it is impossible to add a keyboard shortcut for 'Temporary' Hide / Isolate etc. I use these all the time!
    Sure you can. All the temporary hide/isolate commands are there in the list. I found it helpful to just type in what I was looking for, like "Hide" and several commands came up, including those. I noticed that nothing was assigned to those functions, or something different, so I changed them back to my familiar HH for hide element and HR for reset temporary hidden elements.

Quote Originally Posted by trombe View Post
    Patricks,
    I think its hidden ! but, you can look in the Revit Architecture 2010\Program\keyboard shortcuts.log file which lies above the keyboard shortcuts.txt file.
    It only notes how many shortcuts have been recorded but does not have any data on the contents.
    I agree its a bummer but the new editor is so much cleaner to work with and, its great that this can be done on the fly at last. That, is a welcome improvement.
    regards
    trombe
    It's not really on the fly. You still have to close out of Revit and restart the program for your shortcut assignments to take effect.

Login to Give a bone

It's not really on the fly. You still have to close out of Revit and restart the program for your shortcut assignments to take effect.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... works on the fly on my machine. Don't have to close out or anything... just make the change and then it works with no restart.

Odd that you're having to restart to get the functions to work.

Cheers,

Dean

Login to Give a bone

hmm yeah it seems to be working for me on the fly now on my work machine. Didn't seem to work like that last night at home.

Login to Give a bone

hmm yeah it seems to be working for me on the fly now on my work machine. Didn't seem to work like that last night at home.
    Works on the fly for me as well.

Anybody know how to check if you assigned duplicate shortcuts? Do you need to restart Revit and look at the log file? Do the log immediatly?

I ma also going to try using Excel on the xml file.

I'll let you know

You can open the xml directly in Excel and sort by the shortcut. This lets you quickly find the duplicates.

I also imported into a table in Access. You can use a finde duplicates query to locate all the duplicates. You can even link the xml directly to Access and it will update as you fix the issues and re export
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cphubb; 2009-10-23 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Posting Excel Image

Login to Give a bone

No need to do all that. You can sort by Shortcut directly in Revit's built-in editor. Just click on the Shortcut column header to sort by shortcut in ascending or descending order.

I got the Move command to work with M+spacebar now, but I had to lose the MA shortcut for Match Type. I never use that tool anyway, so no big deal for me.

Login to Give a bone

No need to do all that. You can sort by Shortcut directly in Revit's built-in editor. Just click on the Shortcut column header to sort by shortcut in ascending or descending order.

I got the Move command to work with M+spacebar now, but I had to lose the MA shortcut for Match Type. I never use that tool anyway, so no big deal for me.
    I found it hard to read in their dialog and missed a bunch of duplicate commands. Excel found them in 30 sec.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You guys notice that we can access the different faces of the View Cube using keyboard shortcuts. Not that *I* care any more -- I've gotten used to the View Cube

Wish I could say the same about the Ribbon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast