Thread: Show wall construction lines in existing walls?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Show wall construction lines in existing walls?

Is it possible to have the defining lines of the wall construction show within existing walls when shown in new construction plan... The plan would show the existing already in a grey or shaded form to show it as existing... We would like the construction to show in some cases. Is this possible...

So far all we are able to get is the outline... Which looks like the default and standard option...

Any thoughts?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Show wall construction lines in existing walls?

Quote Originally Posted by a.kennedy View Post
    Is it possible to have the defining lines of the wall construction show within existing walls when shown in new construction plan... The plan would show the existing already in a grey or shaded form to show it as existing... We would like the construction to show in some cases. Is this possible...
    You have to edit the Override Settings for the Existing phase in the Phase Settings. The only thing to watch is that this will affect more than just walls.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Show wall construction lines in existing walls?

This sounded like the reply we wanted to hear... but when we tried to do it... it just would not work...

We found under the Phases Settings the options to make the patterns visible... nice little check box... and then under the Phase filters... we noticed when this was not enough... that the phase filter we were using had the Existing filter using "Overridden"... realizing that if we used "By Category" It would show dark as the new walls...

Any thoughts why we are not finding what you suggested?

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by a.kennedy View Post
    This sounded like the reply we wanted to hear... but when we tried to do it... it just would not work...

We found under the Phases Settings the options to make the patterns visible... nice little check box... and then under the Phase filters... we noticed when this was not enough... that the phase filter we were using had the Existing filter using "Overridden"... realizing that if we used "By Category" It would show dark as the new walls...

Any thoughts why we are not finding what you suggested?
    Its not a check box, if you are in the right place. Basically, under Settings > Phases > Graphical overides, you need to make sure Existing is set to overriden. BUT, it CANNOT have a "Material" in the box at the far right. If it does, that means its making everything existing "one material" hence you have no delineations of wall layers. Take out the material selection, and then set the lineweights/colors that you want, in the line overrides box.

Then under Phase Filters, tell "Show previous and New" to show "Existing: Overridden."

Then it should be all set.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Show wall construction lines in existing walls?

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Its not a check box, if you are in the right place. Basically, under Settings > Phases > Graphical overides, you need to make sure Existing is set to overriden. BUT, it CANNOT have a "Material" in the box at the far right. If it does, that means its making everything existing "one material" hence you have no delineations of wall layers. Take out the material selection, and then set the lineweights/colors that you want, in the line overrides box.

Then under Phase Filters, tell "Show previous and New" to show "Existing: Overridden."

Then it should be all set.
    Thanks for your responce... but... this is still will not get it to work... I was already doing this... see attached... and let me know if you see diferently... and yes there is a check boc... see attached... and if it is not for this what is it for?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

You also need to clear the Material column for Existing objects.

Set up an override for Cut Lines (a gray color line as you described) but leave the Cut Pattern and Material overrides blank.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Show wall construction lines in existing walls?

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    You also need to clear the Material column for Existing objects.

Set up an override for Cut Lines (a gray color line as you described) but leave the Cut Pattern and Material overrides blank.
    This is getting fun... You are all saying it is possibly... all talking about the same thing... and I have been messing with the settings as you have describbed... many different ways... and yes I have had id exactly the way you just discribed... and it still did not work... I think there is something else missing....

Not getting anywere fast here...

Login to Give a bone

Well I don't know, here's what mine looks like, and my existing walls look exactly like my new walls, except for the gray lines instead of black.

Note that I have a Cut Line override, but no Cut Pattern, Material, or Halftone override.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Show wall construction lines in existing walls?

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Well I don't know, here's what mine looks like, and my existing walls look exactly like my new walls, except for the gray lines instead of black.

Note that I have a Cut Line override, but no Cut Pattern, Material, or Halftone override.
    Can't see the forest for the trees... Thanks... I was busy looking at the settings for the existing cut pattern... and did not see that the material had a default material listed... as "Phase - Existing" I cleared this to match your posted image... and it showed as we wanted...

Thank you very much...

and thank you all for the attempts to get that through to me... LOL... took a bit... I am glad I finally got it...