Thread: How do I join lines?

Login to Give a bone

Default How do I join lines?

I want to make a series of lines making up the outline of a bicycle frame into a polyline or at least all the same object. 'Solids' and 'union' doesnt appear to work. What am I missing? Thanks

RD

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I join lines?

Do you want 3d or 2d? (this is a 3d-related forum).
    If 3d, you will generally use (3d) solids (not the SOLID command) and union them. There are some forms that you can't easily make in solids in acad versions earlier than 2007 but they can be made as mesh objects (the *SURF commands) and, if necessary, converted to solids using, usually, M2S.lsp which is widely available on the web.
    If 2d, construct geometry with lines, arcs, circles, etc.. To make into one object, a polyline may be suitable or it can all be used to create a block or the GROUP command may be useful.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Do you want 3d or 2d? (this is a 3d-related forum).
    If 3d, you will generally use (3d) solids (not the SOLID command) and union them. There are some forms that you can't easily make in solids in acad versions earlier than 2007 but they can be made as mesh objects (the *SURF commands) and, if necessary, converted to solids using, usually, M2S.lsp which is widely available on the web.
    If 2d, construct geometry with lines, arcs, circles, etc.. To make into one object, a polyline may be suitable or it can all be used to create a block or the GROUP command may be useful.

Thanks jaberwok. This is 2D AC2004. Sorry but I get confused with all the options here. If I use a polyline doesnt that mean I have to start from scratch? It just seems odd that two lines cant be made into one line. I tried 'Group' but it doesnt seem to be what I'm looking for.

Also while you're on is it possible to specify angles relative to another object or do you have to always specify them relative to the compass. That's to say with '0' degrees at 3pm.

Thanks
    RD

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

with join command, p-lines must be connected and in the same ucs, pick a line segment, turn it into a p-line right click shows option for join, select all lines to be joined and there ya go. this technique is used constantly in 3d solid modeling

Login to Give a bone

Draw with lines, use PEDIT to convert one line to a polyline.
    Use the Join option of pedit to join lines that already meet exactly at their ends or use the FILLET command with radius set to zero to join lines to a polyline when their ends do not meet exactly.

Login to Give a bone

Draw with lines, use PEDIT to convert one line to a polyline.
    Use the Join option of pedit to join lines that already meet exactly at their ends or use the FILLET command with radius set to zero to join lines to a polyline when their ends do not meet exactly.

Thanks. Nearly there. Did you have any thoughts on the angles?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ukdodger View Post
    Thanks. Nearly there. Did you have any thoughts on the angles?
    Quote Originally Posted by ukdodger View Post
    Also while you're on is it possible to specify angles relative to another object or do you have to always specify them relative to the compass. That's to say with '0' degrees at 3pm.
    I'd usually draw a new line over the existing line then rotate it about one end by the known angle - that's not the only way though.

The 0 degree direction and the positive angle direction can be changed with the UNITS command - but it's a very good idea to restore them afterward.

Login to Give a bone

I'd usually draw a new line over the existing line then rotate it about one end by the known angle - that's not the only way though.

The 0 degree direction and the positive angle direction can be changed with the UNITS command - but it's a very good idea to restore them afterward.

Thanks John. Appreciate your help.

RD

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

do you use the @ symbol when drawing a line from a point? for example ( hope I do it right) @12<15. should draw a line from the end point 12 units long and at 15 degrees.

john

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jnoon View Post
    do you use the @ symbol when drawing a line from a point? for example ( hope I do it right) @12<15. should draw a line from the end point 12 units long and at 15 degrees.

john
    Yes I do. Thanks for your reply