See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duct and pipe hangers

Login to Give a bone

Default duct and pipe hangers

Hey everyone, I have been all over this site and can't seem to find an answer. First off I want to let everyone know I am new to Revit. I have a good five years experience with other AutoCAD formats. What I was wondering is there a way to model duct and or pipe hangers in revit. I am hearing conflicting reports and figured this is the best place to ask. If any one can give ma a hint it would be greatly appreciated. Even if there is a way to do it in AutoCAD MEP and link it over. Thanks for the help in advance.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: duct and pipe hangers

There is no "hanger tool". This leaves the Component tool and creating a hanger family to use with it. You can create individual units or a line-based version that lets you "install" a series of them with a couple of points, start and end. Some will argue that it is too much detail but hangers often result in conflicts. At some point it starts to make sense to account for their whereabouts in the model.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Some will argue that it is too much detail

I would tend to agree....way too much detail.
    Hangers are the sort of thing that should be left up to the contractor anyway. Can't speak for you, but my level of consultancy based expertise dictates that even if I could successfully model them, chances are:
    a. I'd get the spacing wrong, or
    b. If I was lucky enough to get the spacing right, I'd get the positioning wrong, or
    c. Their presence would only add to the sluggishness of the model regeneration times which are already unbearably slow....!!

Let's get the basics right first, before we start messing around with nuts and bolts.

Login to Give a bone

I also think its way too much detail, unfortunately the contractor we are doing the model / drawings for wants to show the hangers.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhagenbuch View Post
    I also think its way too much detail, unfortunately the contractor we are doing the model / drawings for wants to show the hangers.
    So you're doing the work FOR the contractor now? Man I need to start working with you guys, ha j/k

We are an engineering fim but we are a contractor primarily. There have been two BIM jobs that have came through here were we used hangers, and quite frankly it did wonders in the clash detection meetings. I did them in AutoCAD MEP, since Revit doesn't support hangers and since AutoCAD MEP is much better for 3D design of HVAC duct/equipment, etc. But ya to answer your question, Revit isn't much for hangers, where as AutoCAD MEP can get the job done if you need to throw some in there. It would be a bit hard because the Hanger tool anchors itself to AEC Duct or pipe, and to collaborate with Revit might not really work as easily as it should.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stykface View Post
    So you're doing the work FOR the contractor now? Man I need to start working with you guys, ha j/k

We are an engineering fim but we are a contractor primarily. There have been two BIM jobs that have came through here were we used hangers, and quite frankly it did wonders in the clash detection meetings. I did them in AutoCAD MEP, since Revit doesn't support hangers and since AutoCAD MEP is much better for 3D design of HVAC duct/equipment, etc. But ya to answer your question, Revit isn't much for hangers, where as AutoCAD MEP can get the job done if you need to throw some in there. It would be a bit hard because the Hanger tool anchors itself to AEC Duct or pipe, and to collaborate with Revit might not really work as easily as it should.
    Thanks for the help. This seams like it's going to be a lot of fun!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Should we start requesting Structural Engineers to start showing fire proofing on their steel?
    That is an extra inch of lost space. If we are going to model to that type of preciseness, than should EVERYONE. If some Consultants aren't showing every element EXACTLY the way it is, than conflict/coordination becomes null and void.

To me it's waste of time and money.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: duct and pipe hangers

We just knock it (fireproofing) off (when no-ones looking hopefully) if we have to get that close in a tight spot. We also crush insulation from time to time.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ray.205827 View Post
    We just knock it (fireproofing) off (when no-ones looking hopefully) if we have to get that close in a tight spot.
    Which could lead to structural failure in a fire. Not my idea of being a responsible contractor.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Which could lead to structural failure in a fire. Not my idea of being a responsible contractor.
    Robert, I think you were supposed to take it with a pinch of salt.
    (I found it amusing anyway....)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast