Thread: Shared Parameter File on a Network

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Shared Parameter File on a Network

We are currently setting up our titleblocks to be used across our wan to three other offices. The problem is the SP text file resides on our main server and when you go to use the titleblock in another city the link is broken for the SP file and we have to reset the titleblock over and over again.

Is there anyway to have the SP text file be read over the internet w/o resorting to separate SP files in each location along with a separate set of families, etc.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared Parameter File on a Network

There is no link between a shared parameter file and projects or families. That isn't causing the problem. A shared parameter file is just a dictionary that you let Revit use to acquire the definition of a parameter. It is permanently stored in the project/family file once you've "looked up the definition". The Shared Parameter file can run off to Hollywood to start a career in the movies and the projects and files won't care...unless you want to add some more...

Most likely the issue is that the Shared Parameters have not been added to the project too. A title block family is really a "tag" for sheet views. You create a sheet view and apply a title block "tag" to provide the look we are used to. When you establish Shared Parameters in the title block family you must also add them to your project template so Revit can "connect the dots". This is different from other families where Revit will add the parameter automatically so it can be included in schedules. If you want to tag however it must be added as a Project Parameter. HTH

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared Parameter File on a Network

Thank you Steve for a very good explanation.

I had a gut feeling about it but I never had it actualy explained like that for me before. I appreciate it.