Thread: Plotter thoughts

Login to Give a bone

Question Plotter thoughts

We're a small architectural firm of 10 people looking for a 36" b+w/colour plotter. We do mostly check plots in house not much more. Hoping to find something reliable, cost effective in terms of supplies and maintenance, 600 dpi but preferably 900, for Windows XP. Any recommendations?

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plotter thoughts

We use an Oce TDS320 for our b/w production plotting and an HP DesignJet T1100 for our color stuff. We don't use the color very often, maybe once a month at the most. So this setup has worked extremely well for us. We got a great deal on the two as a package working with our local vendor so it was very cost effective for us.

The Oce TDS320 is a toner based machine, so it costs a bit less to operate in the long run compared to replacing ink cartridges. The thing runs very fast and produces great quality for your every day line drawings.

As for the HP T1100, it produces great color for what we ask of it. It isn't the fastest thing on the market, but it has been very good for our situation. It can also accommodate up to a 44" roll if you need that big a sheet. We don't, but we could if we needed to. I am very pleased with both of them and would recommend either one.

If you have to have the color you should look into how much you are going to use it and see if a package like this isn't the way to go. Like I said, we don't use the color one very much so the speed and cost of operating the Oce is seen a lot more. I would recommend talking with a local vendor and seeing if he can help you fill your needs like mine did. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Login to Give a bone

Agree with the Oce....had one for 5 users, got it for the scanning and duplication setup as well as the speed of getting multiple sets of plots out the door. The color HP helps out for the color printing as well, which did not happen that often.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

we have:

major production work:
    oce9600 with scanner - indestructable paid for itself in 2 weeks (we print A LOT)
    ocetds600 no scanner - indestructable, also paid for itself in a couple weeks again see note above

color stuff (AND MYLARS!!!)
    hp4500m (2 rolls) when it works, it's unbelievable, otherwise it has been a major pain in the....
    hp750 version 2 - can't kill it
    hp750 version 1 - can't kill it but has driver and support issues version 2 doesn't... weird.

light weight b&w:
    xerox something
    Ricoh (spelling?) - not as good as oce, equal to zerox

i can get you the specifics on xerox and ricoh if you want.

for me, oce color rocks but for the money, the hp is more practical.

Login to Give a bone

If someone could provide a model of a Xerox, that would help us.
    We are just looking for a lightwieght B&W, up to C size

We are also looking for a BW scanner which can handle up to D. This would get a LOT LESS use than the plotter.

Has anyone ever used the HP110 Plus?

Any thoughts on if there will be problems with Windows 7 on any of the hardware? We are using XP Pro now.

thanks