See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Video card D3D compatibility - Revit 2010 on Vista / Win7

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Video card D3D compatibility - Revit 2010 on Vista / Win7

Please describe what hardware you're using with Revit 2010. Include:
    • video card model and manufacturer (e.g. Asus Geforce 9600 GT)
    • driver version and provider (i.e. manufacturer's driver or nVidia reference)
    • operating system and 32-bit or 64-bit (we're only interested in Vista or Win7 in this thread)
    A summary of working and non working cards will be shown in this post based on input into this forum. "Working" means enabling D3D acceleration in Revit does not cause any problems and improves performance. There is no guarantee that these cards may or may not work for you; it just improves the chances of users choosing a model that works. To check if your card works, open up a non-shadowed 3D view, zoom in close to your model and orbit. Disappearing or flashing objects while orbiting means D3D acceleration is not working properly.

Working Cards
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 under Vista 32
    • ATI FireGL V5600 under Win7 64
    • ATI FireGL V7600
    • nVidia Quadro FX580 under Win7 64
    • nVidia Quadro FX1800
    • nVidia Quadro FX370M (Dell) under Win7 64
    • nVidia Quadro FX3800 under Win7 64 (186.30 driver)
    • nVidia GeForce 9600 GT / 512MB (Asus EN9600GT Silent), nVidia Driver Version: 195.62 WHQL under Win7 64
    • nVidia Quadro NVS 295 (note that this is NOT a CAD card -- it's designed for 2D)
    Non-Working Cards
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 under Win7 64
    • ATI Radeon 4670 under Vista
    • ATI FireGL V3400
    • ATI FireGL V5600 under Vista
    • ATI FireGL V5100 under Win7 64
    My experience with Vista and Windows 7 has just begun -- I've been on XP till now and I've heard little from users as to their experiences with their video hardware and driver combinations on Vista and Win7.

For instance, I bought this new Dell laptop because it came with Radeon video, which has been golden for me on XP for years. But with DX enabled in Revit, video performance worsens and objects flicker and disappear in any given view as you zoom in/out (it happens particularly at close range). I'm on Win7 x64 and using Catalyst 9.11. Autodesk provides a recommended driver for the 4600 series Radeons which is Catalyst 9.8, but there is no difference between that and the driver Dell supplies. The 9.11 driver doesn't improve things much.

Are other people seeing this with Geforce and Radeon models -- i.e. DX doesn't work, and it's faster to work with it off? I'll be sorely amused if Geforce hardware works better
    Last edited by Wes Macaulay; 2010-01-12 at 05:12 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Video card D3D compatibility - Revit 2010 on Vista / Win7

No problems for me so far:

Dell Precision M2400, Quadro FX370M, Windows 7 64-bit.

Graphics work with no problems with Direct X on.

Graphics performance is the same as XP was.

Login to Give a bone

Hmm -- this may just reinforce that getting a CAD card rather than a consumer card is the way to go

Login to Give a bone

Does Autodesk not provide any guidance in this matter? Surely they know what works and what doesn't. If they don't they know they should find out. All this consumer trial and error is a costly waste of time.

Login to Give a bone

Support have told me to use the cards on the AutoCAD certified graphics cards for Revit.

The whole graphics card issue seems very random to me. We just use quadro cards as we know they work (although they are slower on our projects upgraded to 2010 than they were in 2009, particulalry with shadows on).

Login to Give a bone

That is pretty random, Andrew -- esp since a lot of people have seen display performance increases with 2010 over 2009.

Autodesk needs to get their glue together on graphic cards and Revit. They need a page just like AutoCAD has but for Revit. The word is that Revit and AutoCAD are going to share the DirectX-based graphics back-end (perhaps they do already) -- but the bottom line is, DirectX isn't working and it ought to be. If I turn on D3D my display gets positively sludgy.

But Windows 7 isn't supported yet -- not that I would want to have Vista64 installed instead; this is the future and hopefully the Factory will fix this in the next release

Login to Give a bone

Wes,

By coincidence, I have just read this article about the new Dell Laptops. Could the GPU issues described in this article correspond with the problems that you are having with your laptop?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/lapto...-studio-1557/2

We need to buy a new laptop for one of our users, and it is a shame that the new i7 chips are not available for Precision models yet.

Login to Give a bone

Hey Andrew -- interesting article. I got a 9 cell battery but I have the XPS Studio 16, which is quite a different model from the Studio 15.

I've even tried a variety of driver versions to no avail. I'd have to try a machine running Vista, but since there's little difference driver-wise between how Vista and Win7 handle drivers, I think the problem would affect Vista too. I think the Factory has not yet got Revit to work properly with D3D and WHQL and all that stuff.

Login to Give a bone

Also -- I've tried the same hardware on Vista 32 -- same problems.

Login to Give a bone

Maybe a new driver release will fix it, maybe a new Revit SP will fix it, maybe neither.

All I can say is that I've had so many problems with Revit HWA over the last few releases that I've pretty much given up on it. If it works, great, if it doesn't, I wasn't expecting it to anyway. I get the sense from Autodesk that it's their philosophy as well.

XP, Vista, 7, GF, Quadro, FireGL, all combinations. Even when it appears to work, Revit is simply more prone to crashing with it on (in my experience).

Windows 7 & GF9600 GT appear to work beautifully with Revit 2010 HWA, but I haven't used that setup long enough to get a sense for stability. When 2011 comes out, it will probably stop working...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast