See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Schedule a Detail Component family?????

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Schedule a Detail Component family?????

Is there a way that I can schedule a detail component family????

Quick run down on what I am trying to do:

I embed 2 SHARED parameters into a detail component. I place said component in views as needed and I input values into these parameters (1 is a Type parameter and 1 is an instance parameter, therefore one will always be the same and one will always vary).

When I create a schedule, I add the 2 SHARED parameters to the list and filter it as "Parameter Exist". When I hit okay and go to the schedule, the parameter names appear in the header but nothing appears below in the "schedule" portion. When I tag the detail component the custom "multi-category" tag reads and displays both parameters without a problem.

I know you do not have to tag an object for it to be appear in a schedule, however in this instance I think if you could schedule a tag I could get this to work.

From what I am seeing it is not possible to schedule a detail component. Am I correct in assuming this or am I completely missing something.

Thanks,
    Josh

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Schedule a Detail Component family?????

Quote Originally Posted by JKOHL View Post
    Is there a way that I can schedule a detail component family????

When I create a schedule, I add the 2 SHARED parameters to the list and filter it as "Parameter Exist". When I hit okay and go to the schedule, the parameter names appear in the header but nothing appears below in the "schedule" portion.
    When you create a schedule you have to choose the category that you want to schedule. You should have noticed that "Detail Component" or "Detail Item" was not an option. Chances are you created a multi-category schedule, in which case you have a long list of possible parameters that you can list in your schedule. The fact that the parameters from the detail components was not automatically available in the list should tell you that you can't schedule those items. Creating new parameters in the mult-category schedule does not point Revit to the detail components that use parameters of the same name. It simply creates two parameters that aren't associated with any elements in the project.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Cory - Thanks, I just didn't know if I was missing something.

I am fairly new to using Revit but I did some digging and found that I can create a symbol in place of the detail component and use the Note Block option under Schedules. This should take care of quantifiying what I need to.

Thanks again,
    Josh

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Schedule a Detail Component family?????

you are a genius. this is 2014. 5 years later than the original post. I just found this one works and very useful, I put symbol and link the symbol to detail component's length, I can now schedule line based detail component. Thank you so much.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Detail Item Tag Question.

I am currently attempting to rework our offices wall type legend. I know this doesnt seem like the right thread for a question like this, but wait for it. Rather than have our legend components do all the work for us [that would be too easy], we opted to have draft view detail drawings w/ detail components as the legend itself. Our goal is to tag each individual element [ie. gwb, cmu, brick, etc] with a number and have that revert back to a schedule that will essentially create a wall composition schedule. So that the components will be listed out rather than labeled with a text note in the legend drawing. If you're not confused already [like me], then you might be able to help.

Now I have been able to get it to work, but only in drafting views. Once I take the drawing into a legend the tags remain, but become unresponsive or even relative to the schedule I created. I have no idea how to get a series of "draft view" details to act as a wall legend. I suppose it might be impossible, but I am looking for any hints or clues I might be able to get to satisfy this new system.

Thanks!