Thread: How to edit a Post Family directly from an existing Railing Family?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question How to edit a Post Family directly from an existing Railing Family?

Hi there

How do I edit a Post Family directly from an exisiting Railing Family?

Is this possible?

I seem to have deleted my initial Post Family from my Library and now need to go back and make changes to the Post Family through the Railing Family...

Thanks
    Craig

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to edit a Post Family directly from an existing Railing Family?

In your Project Browser, scroll down to the Families/Railings section - you should see your Baluster family there. Right-click on it, and Edit or Save. That will open and external copy, or save it to your library.

You can't Edit it from the Railing editor - it would be nice to have direct access to things like that.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Daniel

Thank you for your response.

I have followed that process, however Edit is greyed out and there is no save option!

Any ideas?

Craig

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ah, I've had that happen. Not sure why it doesn't allow editing, and I've sometimes found that when I reopen the project, I can edit it. If that doesn't work for you, try copy/pasting the whole railing into a fresh project, and then seeing if you can edit.

Seems a bit hit or miss sometimes, and I haven't learned what causes that behaviour. Can anyone shed some light on why families sometimes are uneditable?

Login to Give a bone

The reason the Edit button is greyed out is that the baluster post family is old! Most of the content for stairs and railings seems to come from the stone age and that functionality for some resaon is not available. If you need to make edits in families that cannot be edited, you'll just have to rebuild them from scratch.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you Daniel and Dave for your response.

I have tried re-opening the project, and have tried copy/pasting the whole railing into a fresh project, unfortunately with no luck!

It seems as though I will have to rebuild the post family from scratch, which is what I have been desperately trying to avoid!

A question: When I right click on any one of the families in my project browser the Edit button is greyed out! Should this be like that? Does this mean that all the families in my project are 'old'?

Also, I am battling to understand this 'old' issue as I modelled this post family only a few months ago based on the 'Metric Baluster-Post' family template. Why would this content now be old? Am I missing something?

Thanks again I really do appreciate the guidance,
    Craig

Login to Give a bone

Hi Guys

It turns out that I am my own worst enemy!

I was right clicking the 'sub folder' of the the Family Type when I should have been right clicking the 'Main' Family Type folder.

Thanks again
    Craig

Login to Give a bone

lol! Good thing you figured it out My original comment still applies though...some railing content in the online library cannot be edited. At least that was the case when I downloaded it a few years ago. Not sure it has been changed since then.