Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formula's and Nested Familes

Login to Give a bone

Default Formula's and Nested Familes

I am creating a family of base cabinets and I'm trying to nest doors, handles and shelves in the cabinet family. So when you pick a the base cabinet you can have pick of of those things. I got everything to work perfect except when add the different parameters I get the entire list of items, all of the cabinet doors, all of the handles and all of the shelf options in each of the parameter drop downs. I am under the impression that when you create a shared parameter and say its a family parameter you select which family type, in this example is is "casework" it just puts all of the items in the "Family" category in your list.

Is there any way around this. I was thinking that maybe you could have a formula that says only show families with the word "doors" in the name or something like that. I'm sure its not that easy but you get the idea.

I hope it all makes sense. Its a difficult problem to explain.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Formula's and Nested Familes

The long winded answer is no, sorry.

A type catalog could ensure that your users only choose valid configurations.

Login to Give a bone

What do you mean by a "type catalog"? I have thought of ways to label my families so people pick the right things, but it still seams a little confusing.

I'm open to ideas.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JoshCaroon View Post
    What do you mean by a "type catalog"? I have thought of ways to label my families so people pick the right things, but it still seams a little confusing.

I'm open to ideas.
    If you take a look at structural member families, there is a .txt file with the exact same name as the .rfa family. These are type catalogs and are amazing. You no longer need to define each & every type within the family. If you write a type catalog you can then have it build/predefine every possible type of that family you want. I think there is also a way to use the family API to make a popup dialog to choose your family components. There are many ways to control your families, hopefully you find one that works well for you.

I hope this helps,

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the info. I'm playing with those as we speak. I'm also wondering if there is a way to add a custom parameter group. You know when you are adding a parameter and in the bottom right corner there is a drop down labeled "Group parameter under:" I'm wondering if there is anyway to add a custom group. I'd like to organize my parameters different then the standard groups.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the info. I'm playing with those as we speak. I'm also wondering if there is a way to add a custom parameter group. You know when you are adding a parameter and in the bottom right corner there is a drop down labeled "Group parameter under:" I'm wondering if there is anyway to add a custom group. I'd like to organize my parameters different then the standard groups.
    There is no way to add a custom Group for your parameters. The ones we got are the ones we're stuck with.

Sorry for the bad news,

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Man you guys are killing me. Everything I want to do I cant. Somewhere I saw a formula tutorial that make it so if one parameter is selected another one is deselected. Any ideas on how to do that? I cant seem to find that tutorial.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Man you guys are killing me. Everything I want to do I cant. Somewhere I saw a formula tutorial that make it so if one parameter is selected another one is deselected. Any ideas on how to do that? I cant seem to find that tutorial.
    Below is a quick description on how to get something to be selected when another on is deselected.

A=not(B)

Hope this helps,

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

JoshCaroon, I found a great explanation on Revit Garage about "type catalogs". I follow this blog a lot. This is a great blog.
    http://revitgarage.blogspot.com/2009...-catalogs.html

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    Below is a quick description on how to get something to be selected when another on is deselected.

A=not(B)

Hope this helps,

Jeff S.
    Ok, I tried that but I'm not sure I understand. Basically I have two different types of doors that I have set up with visibility parameters. So there is a check box for "Full Door" and "Glass Door" I'd like to make it so that when you select "Full Door" the check box for "Glass Door" is cleared. That way you cant have two door types in there. I tried to use your formula by saying in the Glass Door parameter "Glass Door = not(Full Door)" and then "Full Door = not(Glass Door)" but it says something about a circular chain of references.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast