Thread: Variable Graphic Scale

All AUGI, all the time ajayholland's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Variable Graphic Scale

Although it goes ‘against the grain’ in Revit, I am often asked to include a graphic scale on certain types of drawings.

To avoid multiple families and to assure graphic consistency, I created a symbol in which the scale values can be varied by a parameter in the sheet. Just enter the scale factor (i.e., 30, 96, etc.) and the values adjust parametrically.

~AJH
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Variable Graphic Scale

I did that to, all though I did not look at the one you posted.

Something interesting I saw on her once is that someone put into the viewport lable a graphic scale. So you would have a graphic scale for each drawing lable. I acually got into the family to edit a few things and it had a way to link into the scale of the viewport. If you look in the lable info you can see the parameter. I haven't sat down and figured out how to access that info outside of a lable. I guess you would use a formula and just type in the parameter name exactly as you see it in the label.... I just quckly tried to 'link' the View Scale parameter, but... I no smart... Hopefully someone out there knows a way already.

I'm still debating if I should put a graphic scale on every lable that has a scale factor, but it could be a way to go with the grain if you can figure out how to link your graphic scale into the family...

I'm not sure how to add alink to another post but if you search for the post name below you'll find the one I was talking about above:
    Multiple Graphic Scales In One View Title
    Last edited by USMCBody; 2009-12-29 at 08:49 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Now that I've looked at yours I took a different approach. My graphic scale is drawing in incraments doubleing (1" 2" 4") and I divide the incraments into 4ths and halfs depending on how I want it to look.

Now that I have the scale drawn, I use a prameter Scale (which I manually imput) and 1" mark, 2" mark, 4" mark parameters (which I use a formula to calculate) That way all I have to do is type in the scale and the graphic scale automatically updates to the new scale.

Now if I can only figure out how to make the scale parameter link into the viewport scale somehow...

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When we need graphic scales, we turn them on as part of the titleblock, and they show ALL the different scales. Then the view scale tells you which one to use. That way we dont have to fuss with it at all.

Not as pretty, but zero work on our part.

Login to Give a bone

ya the only problem is that I need space on the page alot more than I need to show every scale on it. It is a bit of 'manuel labor' but it turns out that mostly a page has only one scale on it anyway. O ya the other catch is that my company does consultant work. Which means that we do not have control of the title block...

All AUGI, all the time ajayholland's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, it would be cool if the scale factor could be extracted from the view - but it cannot. But making the graphic scale part of a customized view title is anti-Revit.

I will concede a designer's need to show a graphic scale, especially when exhibits are published not full size. However, graphic scales should only be used when precision is not important. They are meant for approximation.

Way back when I was learning the ins-and-outs of professional practice, we were instructed never to scale a drawing.

All these complications will disappear as we make our models part of the "deliverables".

~AJH

Login to Give a bone

I wouldn't say that you can't... as the tile label can detect the scale of the viewport it is attached to. More like someone has not found out how to yet, or Revit is just not opened up enough yet for the average person to access it without 'breaking into the code'.

Either way, I hope one day Revit is flexible enough to.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It should be very very close to possible. We put a Label in out View Title Family called scale. In essence, all were talking about is that "scale" label, being a Family Type Label, with a bunch of Annotation Families loaded in for the appropriate scale.

End users tweak the Annotation Families just like we do with section heads, and the system parameter of Scale loads the right one as the users toggle the scale of the Viewport.

The only caveat being: They will have to pick between: Letting us manipulate the graphic scale, or certifying that the viewports cant show the WRONG scale. Or, devise some way for us to edit them without cheating the system.

Login to Give a bone

right.

To be honest all I do is the same graphic scale with different text associated with the scale at hand...

So for me the only link I need is to 'sense' the scale and be able to use that information in a formula to generate the different marks on the graphic scale...

It just sound so simple...... but sadly that is the link in the chain that just don't know enough about or is not there all together. B-(