Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUPER SLOW save times

Login to Give a bone

Default SUPER SLOW save times

Revit 2010 x64, non-workshared file, all Cat6 patch cables and in-wall cable, connected to the server through a gigabit switch. Network properties confirms 1.0 Gbps connection.

I opened this 18 MB non-workshared file, made a small change on a sheet, then saved it. Save took 92 seconds!!!

In contrast, a workshared file of similar size took less than 10 seconds to SWC and save locally before and after.

Anyone else seen this kind of slow times with non-workshared files stored on a server?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SUPER SLOW save times

I tried a straight copy of that same non-workshared file from the server to my local machine, and the transfer was nearly instant. Saving the file on my local machine took less than 3 seconds.

Perhaps it's just a characteristic of Revit to have long save times of non-workshared files stored on a network location?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have seen little difference in save times between workshared and non-workshared files under similar conditions to above. Sounds like a network hiccup to me... have you tried non-workshared files in multiple locations?

Login to Give a bone

Non-workshared files at all workstations with Revit installed in the office always take forever to save. Workshared files are fine, just 10-30 seconds depending on size of file and number of changes it has to update between files.

We actually found yesterday that the server was connected directly to our SonicWall firewall, which is only capable of 100 Mbps. We switched the cable to a wall terminal, which goes through the gigabit switch (server no longer has to go through the firewall when communicating with terminals). However Revit save times remain the same.

Login to Give a bone

I don't know if you're having the same issue as we did, but this stumped us for years. As is often the case, the issue seems unique to Revit - every other app we use saves in a timely fashion. Not sure if it's related to Windows Server, or RAID, or both. I know that I can save a Revit file over the network to another workstation (e.g. Windows XP; no RAID) and it saves relatively quickly.

The fix for us was to enable write caching and enable advanced performance on the server's hard drive. This made a huge world of difference.

Windows Server > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management > Properties (of applicable Disk) > Policies > Enable write caching on the disk; Enable advanced performance.

It does come with the caveat that it's a very good idea to have the server hooked up to a UPS with write caching enabled.

I by chance came across the "fix" in another thread here on AUGI a while back, but a forum search came up empty.

Login to Give a bone

By UPS you mean battery backup right? Uninterruptable Power Supply. Yeah our server and even the network equipment (modem, firewall, switch etc.) is all on a backup power supply.

I will definitely give that a shot. One of our IT consultants is coming by this afternoon so I'll probably ask him about that first, though.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    By UPS you mean battery backup right? Uninterruptable Power Supply.
    Yes.

I should have also added that the exact sequence to enable write caching that I describe is on a Windows 2008 server. Other versions of Windows server might be slightly different, but the option should still be there.

Login to Give a bone

hmm under policies for that disk drive, there is already a radio button selected that says "optimize for performance" which includes write caching. The options are also grayed out, so I cannot change that option.

I do not see separate Write Caching and Advanced Performance check boxes. It's only the radio buttons (the other option is to optimize for disk removal).

This is Windows Server 2003, regular flavor, no Exchange or anything.

Login to Give a bone

If it's greyed out, it sounds like you're selecting the properties of a partition rather than the whole drive (see attached image).

If write caching is already enabled on the server, it would appear you're experiencing a different issue than the one we had (or Windows 2003 Server handles it differently).

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    hmm under policies for that disk drive, there is already a radio button selected that says "optimize for performance" which includes write caching. The options are also grayed out, so I cannot change that option.

I do not see separate Write Caching and Advanced Performance check boxes. It's only the radio buttons (the other option is to optimize for disk removal).

This is Windows Server 2003, regular flavor, no Exchange or anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

yep, I right-clicked there and went to Properties > Policies, and I see the same box as you show on the right side there, but without those 2 checkboxes. The 2 radio buttons are there, grayed out just like in your image, but with nothing below it. Weird.

*edit* this is an HP Proliant server with two 250 GB SCSI drives in RAID 1 configuration.
    Last edited by patricks; 2009-12-09 at 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast