Thread: Help! AutoCAD opening files in command line, not via dialogue box

Login to Give a bone

Question Help! AutoCAD opening files in command line, not via dialogue box

I think I accidently posed my question in the wrong forum so I'm trying again in the AutoCAD General forum... (I have no clue where I sent my original post.)

One of my users said a couple of days ago his AutoCAD 2009 stopped bringing up the open dialogue box to browse for files. For some reason, when he would go to File -> Open, instead of bringing up a dialogue box, AutoCAD would just prompt for the file name/location in the command line. I thought that installing 2010 would get him back on track but unfortunately, he migrated his settings so we're back to square one again.

I tried looking under the Options -> "Open and Save" tab, but couldn't see any setting that would control whether or not the open dialogue box would stop showing.

Any ideas/suggestions?

-Emlyn

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help! AutoCAD opening files in command line, not via dialogue box

Type in FILEDIA, set it to 1
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by emlyn_altman View Post
    I think I accidently posed my question in the wrong forum so I'm trying again in the AutoCAD General forum... (I have no clue where I sent my original post.)
    -Emlyn
    That's ok... the moderator moved it for you.
    Yes, as others suggested, FILEDIA set to 1 should fix your problem.

Login to Give a bone

For other miscellaneous System Variables for AutoCad 2005 and below, try this searchable pdf:
    http://www.hyperpics.com/system_vari..._Variables.pdf

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Type in FILEDIA, set it to 1
    I just joined AUGI. I searched AutoCAD Help and the AutoDesk Knowledge Base, and found nothing on this problem which cropped up out of nowhere. Using the AutoCAD restore function didn't correct it either! I came here an solved it in less than 5 minutes. Thanks rkmcswain! NOW I know where to come for answers!!!
    Joe

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joe_hughes View Post
    I just joined AUGI. I searched AutoCAD Help and the AutoDesk Knowledge Base, and found nothing on this problem which cropped up out of nowhere. Using the AutoCAD restore function didn't correct it either! I came here an solved it in less than 5 minutes. Thanks rkmcswain! NOW I know where to come for answers!!!
    Joe
    Welcome to augi, Joe. That's what augi is best at.

FYI, acad variables get changed all the time while you are using it. Sometimes commands change FILEDIA and are supposed to change it back when they finish. But if something happens that prevents the command from finishing properly, the varible doesn't get reset.
    C:> ED WORKING....

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    FYI, acad variables get changed all the time while you are using it. Sometimes commands change FILEDIA and are supposed to change it back when they finish. But if something happens that prevents the command from finishing properly, the varible doesn't get reset.
    Now this was an interesting tidbit. I wondered why things would seem to randomly set themselves to different values (the ones I notice the most are highlight and regenauto). But this makes so much sense - if the command needs it to be something else to operate, and then is cancelled or something else happens mid-command, it doesn't finish and reset those variables. Thanks Ed!

Jules