Thread: pipe systems stop at elbows and tees?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default pipe systems stop at elbows and tees?

I'm trying to set up pipe systems and keep them connected to organize my views later (by filtering by system to keep things on/off or to change colors of pipes on different systems). The problem is, after the pipe leaves the equipment (generic custom mechanical equipment with an "other" pipe connection), it will only be recognized as part of the system as far as the first elbow or tee. Anyone come across this problem before?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: pipe systems stop at elbows and tees?

I can't say that I have had that happen to me but I am interested in knowing what has caused the "issue".

What I do is create a different PIPE TYPE for different systems and that seems to work out well for me except for the fact that when I create filters for the different systems and I choose a certain system to not be visible the pipes do disappear but all of the fittings remain. I suppose my question to that would be is there a way to get the fittings to "adopt" the system type of the pipe that it is connected to?
    I suppose what I should also say is that I am not always attaching the pipes to a piece of equipment, in most cases I am connecting my new pipes into an existing system.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by elaforge View Post
    I can't say that I have had that happen to me but I am interested in knowing what has caused the "issue".

What I do is create a different PIPE TYPE for different systems and that seems to work out well for me except for the fact that when I create filters for the different systems and I choose a certain system to not be visible the pipes do disappear but all of the fittings remain. I suppose my question to that would be is there a way to get the fittings to "adopt" the system type of the pipe that it is connected to?
    I suppose what I should also say is that I am not always attaching the pipes to a piece of equipment, in most cases I am connecting my new pipes into an existing system.
    Do you have pipe fittings a selected catagory for those filters?

Login to Give a bone

In order for the fittings to be available for filtering out the pipe and fitting must be attached to a "system". Just creating a new pipe type will not work. Once it is actually a system then you filter the system not the type.
    I do understand that, if, you create a complete set of fittings of a different "type" you can filter them by type.
    Revit assumes that we will always design connected systems.
    I have been where you are on the filtering deal. It is a frustration.
    If you are not connecting to a fixture or piece of equipment you will need to place a connector somewhere and define the system.
    Hope that made sense and is of some help.

Still a Revit rookie myself after nearly 3 years.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: pipe systems stop at elbows and tees?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion Steve. That is something that I have done with Duct Systems and just haven't yet "gotten around" to doing it with the Pipe Systems that I have worked on.

I hear you about being a "rookie". I have been using Revit for about 2 1/2 years now and continue to learn new things often. FUN STUFF!!!!!!!! I do prefer to use Revit rather then 2D or even 3D AutoCAD for that matter. Keep up the good work.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timsea81 View Post
    I'm trying to set up pipe systems and keep them connected to organize my views later (by filtering by system to keep things on/off or to change colors of pipes on different systems). The problem is, after the pipe leaves the equipment (generic custom mechanical equipment with an "other" pipe connection), it will only be recognized as part of the system as far as the first elbow or tee. Anyone come across this problem before?
    My first question is what fittings are you using? Are the Revit out of the box fittings or have you modified them or created your own? I have run into similar issues while not the exact same issue when I have created my own fittings. One way that filters can cause problems is when the connectors are not defined correctly. For fittings you want to make sure that the fittings connection type is being used instead of one of the other options. Global also works but for piping fittings, fittings is the best. So first check your fittings to make sure that the connectors are defined correctly.

Our office also for a short time decided to go for a different pipe type for every piping system and then just filter by pipe type. This worked OK for a while but the more systems that were added to the project the more pipe types we had, not to mention the confusion that would ensue when you didn't check the pipe type before you started modeling and started piping up a chiller with sanitary pipe. Eventually we realized that the simplest way to filter piping systems was not through the pipe types but through the connector type or system name. While it takes more time on the front end to set up systems it simplifies things down the road when there are a lot of systems that you may be dealing with.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Our office also for a short time decided to go for a different pipe type for every piping system and then just filter by pipe type. This worked OK for a while but the more systems that were added to the project the more pipe types we had, not to mention the confusion that would ensue when you didn't check the pipe type before you started modeling and started piping up a chiller with sanitary pipe. Eventually we realized that the simplest way to filter piping systems was not through the pipe types but through the connector type or system name. While it takes more time on the front end to set up systems it simplifies things down the road when there are a lot of systems that you may be dealing with.
    That's interesting - our office was exactly opposite. We started with systems - and system filters and got frustrated with the pain-in-the -rear it caused, so we went to different pipe types for our filters and visibility graphics. We have seen significantly fewer problems with those.

it will only be recognized as part of the system as far as the first elbow or tee
    Is it really not part of the system? - or is it just a visibility graphics (filter) issue?

Login to Give a bone

Hey. i manage to create a pipe fitting, the pipe terminates inside the fitting. (i considered the thread length of the pipe) How can i hide the pipe penetrated inside the fitting?

please see my jpeg

Detail level at Fine. visual style at hidden.

Thanks..
    Attached Images Attached Images