Thread: Importing IFC from Archicad into Revit

Login to Give a bone

Question Importing IFC from Archicad into Revit

I work for an MEP engineering firm and we use Revit MEP. We are working with an architect that uses Archicad so we are faced with the "opportunity" to utilize IFC files.

I have one specific issue when importing an IFC file into revit. I have completely read the "A Look Under The Hood" thread and understand that there is probably some information that gets lost in translation from the export to the import. That being said, the problem that I am having is that the levels all come in, at or around 0,0 (see attached). Is there something that can be done on the export or import end to rectify this? The problem this presents is I now do not have any reference points for placing my MEP entities. I can move the levels, but this messes up the architectural elements. If I delete the levels and try to insert my own this deletes architectural elements. I also tried importing the ifc file into both a 2009 version of Revit MEP and a 2010 version with no positive outcome with regards to the levels.

Any help/imput would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing IFC from Archicad into Revit

I would say that, since the export seems to be flawed, why even bother to use the architect's levels? Create your own levels and manually coordinate them with the architect's levels from a hardcopy.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb.80133 View Post
    I work for an MEP engineering firm and we use Revit MEP. We are working with an architect that uses Archicad so we are faced with the "opportunity" to utilize IFC files.

I have one specific issue when importing an IFC file into revit. I have completely read the "A Look Under The Hood" thread and understand that there is probably some information that gets lost in translation from the export to the import. That being said, the problem that I am having is that the levels all come in, at or around 0,0 (see attached). Is there something that can be done on the export or import end to rectify this? The problem this presents is I now do not have any reference points for placing my MEP entities. I can move the levels, but this messes up the architectural elements. If I delete the levels and try to insert my own this deletes architectural elements. I also tried importing the ifc file into both a 2009 version of Revit MEP and a 2010 version with no positive outcome with regards to the levels.

Any help/imput would be appreciated.
    Check the IFC-model in Solibri Model Viewer to see if it's correct or not. The last time I took IFC-models from AC into RS it worked just fine with the levels. Never tried RMEP though.
    /&Mats

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Are you saying all levels are coming in at an elevation of 0?

I have done quite a bit with importing IFC exports from ArchiCAD into Revit. The biggest hurdle I have found is the way ArchiCAD uses levels

I believe ArchiCAD has to have levels in a specific order, and anything below ground level is usually denoted level -1, level -2 and so on

The best solution I have found is to have my own levels created in my own model, and import the IFC model into a separate model and link it into my own model.

Once linked you can then just reposition in the z direction, you should be able to line up the levels in the linked model with your own

I have found that the IFC file will import consistently from ArchiCAD though, so the other option is to setup your levels once you link in the converted arch model. That way when you receive a new model it should position correctly

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

If it is only the stories definitions you can modify the IFC file directly in notepad or equivalent editor and manually add the RL's overriding the original data.

Some of it will also depend on your export or the setup of the ArchiCAD file. There are a number of options you can change in the exportation settings of ArchiCAD that can cause issues.
    What Version of IFC did the Architect export out as? This also can have issues, I would find this out first.

Solibri model Viewer as mentioned above is a great way to see if there are issues with the IFC file itself. From this point I would then start looking at the ifc schema, manipulating the file directly and so on.

Edit: Also back to basics make sure your schema's naming actually lines up aswell for your objects. Otherwise things will not work, however it is a great way of creating objects in other programs and loading them in as correct catagories such as stairs, walls, ceilings but that's more Arch/Struct.
    Last edited by m20roxxers; 2010-02-16 at 01:08 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I never thought to look into editing the IFC file, I guess if you could narrow down the changes to a simple process you could automate it. But on some projects I would be receiving new IFC files almost daily, so manual editing would be a nightmare.

It is often a struggle to iron out these issues, consultants using different software tend to blame the transfer issues on the other parties software in my experience! But it certainly beats exporting to 2D cad and sharing files that way.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Agreed, the issues really head to down to the software used for both export and import, IFC also is by no means perfect. Setup of IFC export and so forth.

It's works but still a long way from completion.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

i have a similar problem with and IFC exported from ARCHICAD and imported into REVIT. when i create a floor plan i can see elements of above floors: walls, doors, windows...
    E.g. i have a view of 1st floor and IFC file shows doors from levels above.
    Any solution???
    Regards