Thread: ESRI's ArcGIS plugin for ACAD

Login to Give a bone

Default ESRI's ArcGIS plugin for ACAD

Ok, I have the ESRI plugin for 2008 LDD, wish I could get one that worked in Civil 2010, but I'll make do with this. Seems like the easiest way to pull out or add data to the GIS database to me.

ArcGIS? Forget it. Reminds me of Windows 3.1....booooooring.

So it installed just fine, and it loads up nice and neat in the toolbar pulldown.

I can connect to the ESRI sample database and can pull maps from it.

Trouble comes when I try and connect with the County database. There's no username/password for user permissions. Log in with the address, and it just sits there. Won't grab any data...doesn't even let me know it's connected.

Am I missing one radio button switch again? I always seem to forget one button or setting that's critical.

As far as I know, the GIS database here is up to date and using the latest ESRI version...maybe a step or two behind at the most.

Any ideas? We're losing our GIS guru to another agency, and he's the only one that knows how to use it competently. I'd like to be able to access the data in the year or so that it's going to take them to find a new guru.

Thanks,
    Dave

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ESRI's ArcGIS plugin for ACAD

Ouch #1. ESRI plugin
    Ouch #2 for 2008
    Ouch #3 LDD

Have you tried using just the Data Connect in Civil 3D 2010 to bring in the data/features? What or where is the county data residing and format is it in?

Login to Give a bone

I'll have to go back and see if there was one for 2010, I don't think that one works properly from the stuff I've read. (Not like this one works either...but I digress).

The data I'm trying to get to is in ArcGIS, whatever the latest version of that is. We've got no money for an updated license, so I lost my ArcMap. To keep from bugging the GIS guy...and since he's going to be leaving...I've got to figure out how to get this data accessible with what we've got.

I can fumble around in Civil, but no one else here can use it...so I'm trying to get something that works that other people besides me will be able to use. So far, I'm the only one with a working copy of 2010 installed. Plenty of cash for "shovel ready" (aka worthless/unneeded) Omamma projects, but no cash for training...so Civil 3d is not going to be happening here any time soon. Unless I take it home and learn it...not something I see happening.

Data connect feature in 2010 you say? That sounds like something that was hopefully made for connecting to GIS databases to pull data...? I'll start tearing up the help file on that unless you can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

First things first.

Do you have Civil 2010 or Civil 3D 2010?

Civil 3D has Autodesk Map as a component and will do what jmurphy is talking about.

Civil 2010 does not have Map and to my knowledge will not do it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dwescott View Post

The data I'm trying to get to is in ArcGIS, whatever the latest version of that is.
    You need to find out where the data is at and the version. SDE server, ArcInfo, Personnel Geodatabase, ArcGIS is just a comman term like CAD is. Many different versions and vertical applications.

Data connect feature in 2010 you say? That sounds like something that was hopefully made for connecting to GIS databases to pull data...? I'll start tearing up the help file on that unless you can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Data Connect has been around for a while, it is in LDD 2008 so once you get a feel of it you can get the die-hard LDD that still want to use the old version to use it as well. Take a look at the GIS Skills for Engineers in the help files for a starter. Also some of the Civil 3D webcast that Autodesk does on Fridays touch on the GIS data and using it in Civil design projects.