Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the easiest way to add a floor finish to a floor?

Login to Give a bone

Default Whats the easiest way to add a floor finish to a floor?

Hey Guys,

Was just wondering what the easies way to add a floor finish to a floor is? I have the floor slab set up, is there a paint tool that allows you to put for example red carpet on to the floor?

Many Thanks,

Aaron

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to add a floor finish to a floor?

This is a loaded question that hase sparked serious debate in the past. I'd suggest you search the form, and you'll get far more information.

You can use the Split face tool, then the paint tool to "paint" materials into the ares defined by the split face tool.

PERSONALLY, we model the floor finishes as thin slabs, on top of the main floor slab. These then go on separate worksets, as well as getting named consistantly. This is actually the way buildings are built as well.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I like this approach too Scott. With the common name we can set them to be transparent in the floor plan so we can still see door swings and the like.

Login to Give a bone

Ditto....used split face once upon a time...moved some walls...split face areas were gone.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Thin floors do not need to be transparent to see door swings if your doors are made with the plan swing arc as a symbolic line in the Plan Swing - Cut subcategory. If your plan swing is a model line, then yes the floor finishes would need to be transparent... but then you'd see the arc in all your 3D views as well.

Thin floors can also get tedious if you have to draw the lines around lots of walls and into the center of door openings. You could just draw to center of wall, but then it won't look right in section unless you go around joining ALL your walls to ALL your floor finishes.

The FASTEST way to get thin floors is to define thin CEILING types with your floor patterns, set the height to 0, and then it will automatically sketch the ceiling outline and place it in the room to look like a floor. But then the floor finish doesn't carry through to the center of the door frame.

All methods have advantages and drawbacks, but doing thin floors on a separate workset has been our preferred practice lately, as I would call it the most "correct" way of doing it, although not really the fastest.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Thin floors can also get tedious if you have to draw the lines around lots of walls and into the center of door openings. You could just draw to center of wall, but then it won't look right in section unless you go around joining ALL your walls to ALL your floor finishes.
    This method of to center of walls causes serious problems with material take-offs, and when the model is exported to Navisworks, each of these becomes 4 clash detections in the report.

The FASTEST way to get thin floors is to define thin CEILING types with your floor patterns, set the height to 0, and then it will automatically sketch the ceiling outline and place it in the room to look like a floor. But then the floor finish doesn't carry through to the center of the door frame.
    Again, this would report completely wrong in Navisworks. Not a bad methodology to get them in quickley though. Way to think outside the box Patricks

All methods have advantages and drawbacks, but doing thin floors on a separate workset has been our preferred practice lately, as I would call it the most "correct" way of doing it, although not really the fastest.
    Although painful, this is the closest to the way the building is built. It allows a more reliable take-off, and works well in Navisworks as well.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    This method of to center of walls causes serious problems with material take-offs, and when the model is exported to Navisworks, each of these becomes 4 clash detections in the report.
    Which is why this is not my preferred method. However our office doesn't do material takeoffs in Revit, at least not yet, nor do we use any 3rd party software like Navisworks (at least not yet) and there are certain users in this office who will do a single large VCT floor that covers all rooms that have VCT tile. I was just putting it out there as an option for the *quickest* or the *easiest* way, though not necessarily the best or most correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    Again, this would report completely wrong in Navisworks. Not a bad methodology to get them in quickley though. Way to think outside the box Patricks
    Wasn't my idea, somebody else here on AUGI mentioned that method some years back. A floor finish tool that works like the ceiling tool would be SOOOO nice.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I agree that a tool that "feels" boundaries would be nice too. Sans that, i would avoid the Ceiling methodology. Unless youve converted every single item in your office library that was Object Hosted to Face-Based, these are the types of workaround that will kick you in the nuts in the 11th hour. Nothing floor hosted will respond to that ceiling, nor with that ceiling respond to any Revit-catagory controls, which leaves you resorting to Filtration through other means (which isnt a bad thing if you planned for it ahead of time... We rely on Revit catagories less and less as time goes on, but you cant really skirt them for lineweight issues), and so on.

There are more benefits to actually sketching in the Floor finishes accurately. Suddenly Slab edges work very well for Wall Bases (if you choose to go that route to expedite the entry... which also schedules decently, so its not the WORST workaround for one of these things).

I use Filters regardless, to control when FINISH objects are visible or not. Whether or not you use that level of control in your Sections and Coarse Scale plans ultimately depends on what you want to show as an office. So if youre NOT doing material takeoffs or clashing, you can draw them to the center of the walls (i still wouldnt) and then filter them out with a Filter + View Template, and hit all the pertinent views in one shot.

My personal advice: Sketch them as floors, draw them accurately, and use Filters to control visibility where necessary (IE What Scott said, LOL).

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Agree with Patricks. This is fast, maintains relationships to walls and is flexible. It's unfortunate that it conflicts with Navis, Energy take-offs, Scheduling, etc. This is important functionality that is still missing from the box.

IMO ceilings as floor finishes is the best work around from a design and iteration standpoint until something better comes along. Give the customer a better tool and we'll use it.

-Phil

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Whats the easiest way to add a floor finish to a floor?

Interesting "workaround"--using a ceiling for a floor. But this methodology can cause
    serious problems in DD CD CA phases.

However, I'm not going to direct our Interiors Department to start using Ceilings
    for Floors--I'm afraid I'm with Scott and Aaron on this one.

For us, best practice is:
    Build thin finish floors in the ID model, which is Linked into the SC model.
    Schedules, Areas, Materials Lists, Navis coord., E-Specs writes out the correct
    spec section, etc.

Scott Brown has some good examples of his ID workflow-- search for some of his threads.

cheers...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast