See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Revit know about PI?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Question Why doesn't Revit know about PI?

So I was writing a formula the other day, and I tired using PI as a know variable, and Revit got mad at me. I had to add a numerical parameter then paste the value of PI into it. To my knowledge PI never changes, so why not allow Revit to understand PI. It understand 'Sin', 'Cosin', 'Tan' & sqrt... Why did PI get short straw?

Jeff S.

I could stop if I wanted to nsinha73's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why doesn't Revit know about PI?

Oh My Word, what kinda formula are you writing?

I could stop if I wanted to gordolake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Pi is some what an unknown and as discussed below from wiki is only ever an approximation showing that revit is indeed correct not to know the exact value of pi.

(sometimes written pi) is a mathematical constant whose value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in Euclidean space; this is the same value as the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius. The symbol π was first proposed by the Welsh mathematician William Jones in 1706. It is approximately equal to 3.14159 in the usual decimal notation (see the table for its representation in some other bases). π is one of the most important mathematical and physical constants: many formula from mathematics, science, and engineering involve π.

π is an irrational number, which means that its value cannot be expressed exactly as a fraction m/n, where m and n are integers. Consequently, its decimal representation never ends or repeats. It is also a transcendental number, which implies, among other things, that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) can be equal to its value."

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nsinha73 View Post
    Oh My Word, what kinda formula are you writing?
    Area of a circle = PI * r^2

Thanks,

Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gordons.68934 View Post
    Pi is some what an unknown and as discussed below from wiki is only ever an approximation showing that revit is indeed correct not to know the exact value of pi.

(sometimes written pi) is a mathematical constant whose value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in Euclidean space; this is the same value as the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius. The symbol π was first proposed by the Welsh mathematician William Jones in 1706. It is approximately equal to 3.14159 in the usual decimal notation (see the table for its representation in some other bases). π is one of the most important mathematical and physical constants: many formula from mathematics, science, and engineering involve π.

π is an irrational number, which means that its value cannot be expressed exactly as a fraction m/n, where m and n are integers. Consequently, its decimal representation never ends or repeats. It is also a transcendental number, which implies, among other things, that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) can be equal to its value."
    Correct PI is an approximation. But Revit should know some representation of PI. As your wikipedia paste states, "π is one of the most important mathematical and physical constants". PI never changes, just the percision at which we calculate it. I'm very happy with six digits to the right of the decimal point. Come on people, we're in the business of designing with geometry. Circles are geometry, right?

Thanks,

Jeff S.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I dont necessarily disagree that it would be useful, i just think its really not a big deal, especially since its a constant. If youre tired of typing it, you just make a Number parameter, and set it equal to however many decimals you like.

Id like it, sure. But i can think of a bunch of reasons it COULD be a hassle, and a hundred things id rather have before it.

Plus, consider this: Revit is terrible about rounding. It *doesnt* do irrational numbers well at all. The way it handles patterns for brick coursing is a perfect example. Rounding in schedules and dimensions are another. The only saving grace is that when ALL units are left to the most accurate revit can bear (1/256"), the only thing that is still problematic is completely irrational things, like the 8/3" brick dimension. (yeah, its *not* 2 171/256").

If they DID have a constant value for PI, id shudder to think of what it would do to math formulas, lol. I use PI and trig functions all the time in Revit. I just make the parameter, and set the formula column equal to it, so no one can mess with it. I dont see the harm in that, i suppose.

Login to Give a bone

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=radian

I forgot most of my trig except for the Indian chief SOH-CAH-TOA but I think this thread figured this question out.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    To my knowledge PI never changes, so why not allow Revit to understand PI. It understand 'Sin', 'Cosin', 'Tan' & sqrt... Why did PI get short straw?
    You answered your own question.
    Pi is a constant
    Sin, Cis, Tan, Sqrt are all formulae

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Why doesn't Revit know about PI?

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    I dont necessarily disagree that it would be useful, i just think its really not a big deal, especially since its a constant. If youre tired of typing it, you just make a Number parameter, and set it equal to however many decimals you like.

Id like it, sure. But i can think of a bunch of reasons it COULD be a hassle, and a hundred things id rather have before it.

Plus, consider this: Revit is terrible about rounding. It *doesnt* do irrational numbers well at all. The way it handles patterns for brick coursing is a perfect example. Rounding in schedules and dimensions are another. The only saving grace is that when ALL units are left to the most accurate revit can bear (1/256"), the only thing that is still problematic is completely irrational things, like the 8/3" brick dimension. (yeah, its *not* 2 171/256").

If they DID have a constant value for PI, id shudder to think of what it would do to math formulas, lol. I use PI and trig functions all the time in Revit. I just make the parameter, and set the formula column equal to it, so no one can mess with it. I dont see the harm in that, i suppose.

Adding a parameter for PI is exactly what I had to do. My only fear is that someone can change PI since it is a parameter & not hard coded in Revit.

Thanks for the discussion, it's been interesting.

Jeff S.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you enter the value in to the Formula side, in the family, then they would have to hit Edit Family to modify it. If thats what youre worried about, you have bigger problems, because they can go in the family and mess up ALL of the formulas, and besides the methods in *horrible hacks* to hide parameters, theres no way to prevent that.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast