Thread: Regular mouse with enhanced 3D capabilities V dedicated 3D mouse

Login to Give a bone

Question Regular mouse with enhanced 3D capabilities V dedicated 3D mouse

For someone who uses 3D Autodesk programs, what are some of the pros and cons for a traditional mouse with added 3D navigation like that provided by Sandio Tech versus a dedicated 3D mouse like the SpaceNavigator by 3D Connexion?
    If you have used both how do they compare?
    http://sandiotech.com/
    http://www.3dconnexion.com/

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Regular mouse with enhanced 3D capabilities V dedicated 3D mouse

This is a great question. I use the Space Pilot from 3dConnexion with Navisworks and love it! I prefer the dedicated 3d Mouse because I can use the regular mouse for my pointer and to select objects while, at the same time, use the 3d Mouse to navigate. I haven't actually used the 3D mouse from Sandiotech yet, but I don't think I could give up my Space Pilot for it. It seems like the Space Pilot would be much simpler as it just has the one "ball" for navigation in all directions instead of the 3 separate joysticks. Also, the Space Pilot has several programable buttons that I can use for any of the Navisworks functions. I use it for "view all", and "measure shortest distance" all the time. The only kicker is the cost. There are cheaper versions ($100) from 3dConnexion with only two programable buttons, but for the one I have you will pay about $400, whereas the one from Sandiotech is only $80.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Regular mouse with enhanced 3D capabilities V dedicated 3D mouse

THnakyou for your reply Bob.

The thing I don't like about the second mouse is that I am a heavy keyboard user. I use shortcut keys in every program I use (even the net). Standard position for me is one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard, especially when I am modeling.

To compare apples to apples lets stick with SpaceNavigator 3dConnexion and the Sandio Tech.
    It seems that the SpaceNavigator would give better navigation than the tradition mouse but would require giving up unlimited short cut keys for 2. In NavisWorks a user would have to choose between save, print, append, save viewpoint, open, find, zoom extents, full screen, print screen, undo, redo, escape, hide, etc.
    Sandio Tech would require a greater dexterity in one hand that’s a lot of keys in a compact area.
    I’m fuzzy on what is meant by using the regular mouse as a pointer and to select objects while navigating the model with the 3D mouse. At this time I stop navigation to select or focuses on an object, typically the selection tool is used when an object is being discussed or examined and movement at that time would be counterproductive.