Thread: Backburner and RDP

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Backburner and RDP

I like being able to check on my render servers and make changes directly on the machine when needed. For this, I use Remote Desktop Connection.

However, this posed a slight problem. Remote Desktop requires a username and password (easy enough), but when the server reboots, it would just sit there until I logged on (via RDP) before it would start the Backburner Server app (located in the Startup folder). I could run the Server as a Windows Service, but I like being able to see that the Server is up and running, not invisible in the background. Doing it this way makes troubleshooting much easier.

To keep RDP working AND automatically log on to the correct account on boot, follow the steps located here. Be careful however, as this allows anyone, with physical access, to that server's files.

HTH!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Backburner and RDP

What information can you get from windopws that the backburner interface window doesn't tell you? You can watch the progress of your slave machines in the window very closely.

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Backburner and RDP

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.jones View Post
    What information can you get from windopws that the backburner interface window doesn't tell you? You can watch the progress of your slave machines in the window very closely.
    Do you mean as opposed to the BB Web Monitor? There always seems to be something going wrong when I'm rendering; it's nice to be able to log on to the machine as if I'm there to troubleshoot.