Thread: The Third & The Seventh

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default The Third & The Seventh

The Third & The Seventh, a short film by Alex Roman,is an entirely computer-generated, exquisitely rendered, photorealistic tour of existing architectural spaces. Absolutely wonderful.

As always with Vimeo, for uninterrupted viewing, go ahead and let it load before watching.

http://www.vimeo.com/7809605

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: The Third & The Seventh

Oh, and this entire thing is done by one guy. Created with 3dsmax, Vray, AfterEffects and Premiere.

Login to Give a bone

O

M

G

NICE find!
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Whilst watching that I thought to myself, I know that music from a film - was it GATTACA?

Checked the credits and it was! Song used was "The Departure" - perfect fit if you ask me. Similar architecture was used in that film as in the CG effort.

What I wonder is how much live video footage he mixed into the CG part. I find it hard to believe he rendered the entire field of grain or forest of trees blowing in the wind by himself... The caustics too were likely very render unfriendly. Not saying that in a derogatory way either - its an incredibly well produced video!

Login to Give a bone

I thought you'd get a kick out of that Haha, I thought I recognized the soundtrack too!

Here's something I thought was enjoyable (especially for this crowd), a video showing the compositing.

And I found a very cool making of video. Very cool. And found out the sneaky monkey started off with models downloaded from Google's 3d library

I dunno if the grass was video, but my guess would be that they aren't - the trees in the Forest Refuge are all modeled.

I find it interesting that he used existing architectural spaces as subjects, rather than creating original ones himself; it seems to me that it would be easier - I would think recreating all those details from well-known buildings would be very difficult (as if it was easy). I recognized a few buildings, but not all: The Disney Concert Hall, of course the Forest Refuge, Santiago Caltrava at the Milwaukee Art Museum...

Login to Give a bone

Sounds like he went the smart route for building his geometry...
    Alright, I found the wireframes most interesting of the trees in the forest refuge. Seems he was using boxes for the detailed parts of the branches, but please tell me there is a plug-in that can generate trees of that complexity - that would be an insane undertaking if done by hand!

Login to Give a bone

I use the Dosch Trees & Conifers for hi-res stuff. I'm thinking he was referencing something similar and just displaying them as a bounding box.