See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Viewport Password

Login to Give a bone

Default Viewport Password

I wish I could protect a Viewport with the association of a password. This would prevent unauthorized use by co-workers. Thus preventing them from zooming in MS when they thought they were in PS.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Viewport Password

I don't know if there is a way to create a viewport with a password. However, "locking" your viewports will probably solve your problem. One way to do this is select your viewport and go to your properties menu, and where it says "Display locked" switch it to "Yes". Also, if someone has tampered with your viewports scale you will know by looking at the properties window. See attached.

Another way to lock your viewports, is to go to the command line and type in MVIEW. Then enter Lock and select the viewport you wish to lock.

This will keep the viewport scale from changing. If your fellow users are still changing the scale on you, it is up to you to decide on how to handle the miscommunication.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oliveoil; 2010-01-14 at 06:49 PM.

Login to Give a bone

No way to do this.
    Sounds more like a training issue.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Viewport Password

The whole idea of this post is that it's a WISH.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wbiskey View Post
    I understand, but...this is the Land Desktop wish forum, Land Desktop is dead, and there never was a LDT wish list, at least one that was forwarded to Autodesk for any reason.

Lastly, your wish could be submitted to the regular AutoCAD wish list since it applies.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wbiskey View Post
    Keep on wishing. I think, even if Autodesk comes up with a password for viewports, that you are still on your own. Passwords get compromised, especially if the drawings that you work on get regular traffic. Imagine a day when you and/or another password keeper is out for the day. Then imagine the boss needs to modify the scale on the drawing. The day you get back, you can bet that you will be giving up that password. To you and most any other designer, this would be a quick fix; just copy out the layout to another drawing and create a new viewport with the appropriate scale. To your boss, this would probably be considered a snag. Maybe not. Either way, your password gets circumvented.

Sorry if I was harsh. But, I have to agree with Rkmcswain. This is more of a personnel issue. We've all gotten into drawings and didn't realize that we were in a floating model space. However, a smart drafter once the problem is noticed, exits the drawing immediately without saving. And if they accidently save, they find the original scale(probably listed in the titleblock, but not always) and resize and re-orient the drawing. And when they are done, if they are courteous, they lock the darn viewport.

Communication is key. Your co-workers should understand that if they extend the courtesy of not monkeying up your drawings, you will return the favor.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

yeah dude just lock the viewport.

Type mview......L (for lock).......ON......all......enter. Done!