Thread: Framing Plan Visibility

Login to Give a bone

Default Framing Plan Visibility

I have attached an image of what is just one wing of a building we are doing. As you can see the roof slopes and has many different elevations. What is the best way to set this up for plan views? I need a high clerestory, low clerestory, main, and canopy roof plans.

Some questions:
    -Should my view be up or down
    -Can I format to show just the roof on the left without seeing the framing for the middle or right roof and without having to hide framing?
    -Is there a way to see the framing when the view range is set to cut through the windows below and the top range is set to way above the framing? (for some reason I can't see any framing, maybe because it is sloped).
    -The only way I can see framing is if I create a new plan that is lookin "up", but then when I want to view the arch link by linked view it only allows the views that the arch has looking "up" which is only reflected ceiling plans and doesn't work for our application.

Just curious how everyone else would go about doing this before I get past the point of no return.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Framing Plan Visibility

Firstly, do you really need 3 separate plans?

I would use only one plan for what you have shown there, and I would highlight the lower beams in plan by denoting them (UNDER)

If you do want to split the plans up, I believe in minimising the number of levels in a project, so I would go for one overall level for the roof area to be setout from and all plans to be created from.

You can then adjust your view range to suit what you want to see in each plan and either adjust your crop to hide the adjacent area, or if you want to see an overall plan but not a particular area for a depth you can also look at using plan regions which will let you have a different view range for that area

Good luck

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, I would also use a single plan with plan regions to control view ranges.

Login to Give a bone

I have one plan looking "down" with the cut plane set at 6'-0" to see the windows and the top clip plane set to 50'-0" which is way above the framing yet no framing shows up. Is this because the framing is sloped?? Do you have to have the cut plane set to cut through the framing to see it?? I hope not because that's impossible because the sloped framing.

The other plan is looking "up" in which I can see the framing, but when I set the arch linked file to by "linked view" I can only reference plans that the arch has looking "up" which doesn't work for us.

Login to Give a bone

What's the bottom of the view range set to.
    If you are cutting 6' above the HP of the roof and only looking to 2' your won't see anything.
    If I were to set up a view for that roof, I'd Have 2 plans. One for the low canopy that's off to the right and one for everything else that shows in you section.
    Set the cut plane to 1' above the HP of your steel (don't for get to see what level it's using to set the cut plane. The bottom of the cut plane should be 3" below the LP of the bottom of steel (from your section I think that would be the framing that ends on the right I think)
    This should allow you to see down to the bottom of the steel and should allow you to see all your framing.
    Also make sure that your framing is visible in that view. If you have an Arch model linked in, the are roof may be covering up your framing. Make sure that your view is set to Structural. There's about 20+ other things that could have been changed to make your framing not show up, but I'd start with the view range and work my way thru until you find the problem. Thank my lucky stars there's no layers in Revit. You can't just turn layers on and off anymore, now you get to pick through 1000's of pick boxes and settings until you guess right.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I've got the view range set so that I can see all the framing. Now I've got 2 more problems.

1. I've got the linked revit model set to "by linked view" to the lower level so that I can see the walls/openings below. Now I can't see the roof which is in the linked model. What's the workaround for this? Is there a way to see the roof and the openings below?

2. Also since my framing members are sloped, when I try to set the joist to be a phantom linetype they won't show up that way. I've read that you can go and change the family to fix this, but don't have much experience messing with families. Any advice is much appreciated.