Thread: show pipes under floor but not architectural elements?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default show pipes under floor but not architectural elements?

On plumbing drawings, the pipes in the floor are shown on the floor plan of the level above the floor, so we want to set our view range to have a bottom that is below the finished floor, right? The problem is when the architect has columns or walls on the floor below that extend in the model all the way up to the next level, moving our view range down makes these elements visible. How are other people getting around this? Is there some way to control the view range of the link independently of the view range of our MEP model? I've come up with a few ideas but I want to know if someone else has found something better.

1) We could keep the architect's views in the link and use it as a linked view in ours under v/g -->revit links --> custom (cumbersome to rely on visibility settings in 2 seperate models)
    2) We could set the view depth below the finished floor and leave the primary range bottom at 0, that will set anything between the view depth and the finished floor to the <beyond> line style, which can be overridden in view to be a different color, then individually go though and hide anything of that color in view by element. (tedious)

I'm still looking for a better solution. Since the floor itself is 12", if I could get my plans to just show the floor and not what is inside them (tops of walls, etc), that could be the solution as well. Any suggestions?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: show pipes under floor but not architectural elements?

What we have done was your #1 solution.
    We use the Arch view as linked and than we can manipulate the view range all we want w/o seeing additional architectural elements from the level below.
    You are right, it is tedious and requires monitoring and careful backgrounds updates.

We have since than decided to show the piping in the ceiling space from the floor above rather than below.

Is the way you show it currently an office standard?
    just curious.

Login to Give a bone

couldn't you just leave the link view range "by linked view" and set that linked view to be the floor above? basically having a view range for your work and a view range for the link? Maybe I'm not quite understanding the problem?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    We have since than decided to show the piping in the ceiling space from the floor above rather than below.

Is the way you show it currently an office standard?
    just curious.
    So for a bathroom on the 2nd floor you would just show the fixtures on the 2nd floor plan then all the piping that is in the floor on the 1st floor plan?

The way we would do this before in CAD would be to show the piping in the floor of the 2nd floor bathroom on the 2nd floor plan.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by moliva View Post
    couldn't you just leave the link view range "by linked view" and set that linked view to be the floor above? basically having a view range for your work and a view range for the link? Maybe I'm not quite understanding the problem?
    Yes, that's option 1. I'm thinking that is the way to go. The only downside is that rather than purging all the views from the architectural model I'd have to leave some in, and hope they don't go changing things around on me later. That's why I'm looking for a solution that is all within my own model and doesn't rely on settings in theirs.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by moliva View Post
    Is this how you've done it in the past, and if so have you run in to any problems with it?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timsea81 View Post
    So for a bathroom on the 2nd floor you would just show the fixtures on the 2nd floor plan then all the piping that is in the floor on the 1st floor plan?
    Thats right.
    It is just easier to do it this way rather than fight with revit.

The way we would do this before in CAD would be to show the piping in the floor of the 2nd floor bathroom on the 2nd floor plan.
    The reasoning is so you can see the fixtures with which the piping is associated.
    It was alot easier to be diagramatic in CAD, not so easy in revit.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, that's option 1. I'm thinking that is the way to go. The only downside is that rather than purging all the views from the architectural model I'd have to leave some in, and hope they don't go changing things around on me later. That's why I'm looking for a solution that is all within my own model and doesn't rely on settings in theirs.
    We have to manipulate all of the arch's views that we have linked in. It's a real pain in the *** but they have so much **** showing that we have to selectively change what is and isn't shown...it's fun.

Is this how you've done it in the past, and if so have you run in to any problems with it?
    this is how we always do our plumbing drawings even in CAD unless it's just a small job where we don't want to have to create another base w/ XREFs etc., then we'd likely show underfloor piping dashed and note it as below floor. typically this is just waste piping.

I don't see any issue w/ having your view range set different than the archs linked view, I think that it would probably work great for what you are going for.

Login to Give a bone

On plumbing drawings, the pipes in the floor are shown on the floor plan of the level above the floor, so we want to set our view range to have a bottom that is below the finished floor, right? The problem is when the architect has columns or walls on the floor below that extend in the model all the way up to the next level, moving our view range down makes these elements visible. How are other people getting around this? Is there some way to control the view range of the link independently of the view range of our MEP model? I've come up with a few ideas but I want to know if someone else has found something better.

1) We could keep the architect's views in the link and use it as a linked view in ours under v/g -->revit links --> custom (cumbersome to rely on visibility settings in 2 seperate models)
    2) We could set the view depth below the finished floor and leave the primary range bottom at 0, that will set anything between the view depth and the finished floor to the <beyond> line style, which can be overridden in view to be a different color, then individually go though and hide anything of that color in view by element. (tedious)

I'm still looking for a better solution. Since the floor itself is 12", if I could get my plans to just show the floor and not what is inside them (tops of walls, etc), that could be the solution as well. Any suggestions?
    The biggest problem I'm running into testing out the first solution here is that when a linked view is set you cannot hide individual elements in the architect's model by element as, after pressing tab over the object, all options for "hide in view" (element, category, and filter) are greyed out. You can still override graphics by category (although the "VH" shortcut doesn't work any more). Has anyone found away around this?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The biggest problem I'm running into testing out the first solution here is that when a linked view is set you cannot hide individual elements in the architect's model by element as, after pressing tab over the object, all options for "hide in view" (element, category, and filter) are greyed out. You can still override graphics by category (although the "VH" shortcut doesn't work any more). Has anyone found away around this?
    Ya, that is a tough situation.
    We usually leave it the way it links and turn off all annotations.
    Honestly, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the Archs set up basic floors for you to use in this case. Something similar to xrefs.
    Your other option is create those views yourself in the Arch model (Everytime you get an update).