Thread: Revit 2010 problems when running Parallels AND Boot Camp

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2010 problems when running Parallels AND Boot Camp

Hi all,

I usually run Revit via Parallels on my MacBook Pro. I have Parallels 5 and everything works great.

I have, however, wanted to use Boot Camp mode, because Revit just runs faster and more efficiently in that environment than in Parallels; at least that has been my experience. However, I have shunned XP because of the 3GB limit and Vista...well, 'nough said.

Now that Apple has finally released the Windows 7 Boot Camp drivers, I have installed Windows 7 x64 on my new Boot Camp drive. Revit works awesome there! I mean awesome compared to Parallels (where I also am running Windows 7 x64).

Then I ran into a problem. I needed to check something on a door schedule today and I did not want to leave the Mac OS just for that. So I started up Parallels and then Revit. Well, Revit kept crashing. I finally figured out that it was having problems with the Recent Files. Revit in Parallels couldn't find the file the Revit in BC had opened because the file directory naming convention is different.

My workaround: in Parallels, I open the revit.ini file and delete the Recent File list. Revit opens fine and I'm able to open the file. NOTE: When opening a file in Revit (BC) there are no issues...it finds the recent files just fine.

Has anyone else noticed this or come up with a better solution?

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2010 problems when running Parallels AND Boot Camp

No one has encountered this?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dannycerezo View Post
    No one has encountered this?
    I don't think many people go back and forth, either VM or BootCamp, but not both. What comes to mind is to put project files on an external drive, which can then be mapped to a drive letter in both. Not sure it would work, but perhaps worth a shot. Also you could put project files on a network drive. At that point both variations of Windows would see it as the same ( \\server\share) as would OS X, so access from any environment.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

That's a good idea Gordon. I find it funny that more people wouldn't switch back and forth. I mean, if all you want to do is just check something in a Revit project that will take you all of 10 seconds, why go through the hassle of rebooting in Boot Camp, waiting for Windows and Revit to start, getting what you need, and then rebooting in MacOSX.

BTW, I also do this when I go to some websites that require the Internet Explorer browser (like some Los Angeles's building department websites). I just fire up parallels and I can continue to work in my Mac OS world.

I don't know, I just find it very convenient.

Thanks.