Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making those pesky constraints behave

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Making those pesky constraints behave

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    The only way to eliminate ASD's is to provide the constraints Revit needs to understand what you really want. Add your own reference planes, dimensions/parameters/labels, align and lock etc until the ASD's are no longer present or constraining the component differently than you want.
    Yeah....but look at this...
    On another post I started about this family specifically, Eddy Lermytte was able to solve my issue and provide some great help...http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=1086522#post1086522
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by t1.shep View Post
    Yeah....but look at this...
    On another post I started about this family specifically, Eddy Lermytte was able to solve my issue and provide some great help...http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=1086522#post1086522
    this is a good example of how tricky of Revit constraints are, even though i'm still a little bit fuzzy about Eddy's great solution -> looks like only reference line will work, but why? furthermore, why working plane can be reference line? i tested w/ line too w/o success.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joe.zhou View Post
    this is a good example of how tricky of Revit constraints are, even though i'm still a little bit fuzzy about Eddy's great solution -> looks like only reference line will work, but why? furthermore, why working plane can be reference line? i tested w/ line too w/o success.
    I also can't quite wrap my head around why this single ref. line will work. In my family's case, it's possible that once you define the ref. plane of the void to be the ref. line, all the ASD's then relate to the ref. line. Then you're only dealing with the ASD's of the ref. line which be fewer and easier to define than every sketch line as in my image I previously posted. I guess I could check this by turning on the ASD's in the new family with the ref. line and see what's going on.
    But since they are automatic and guessed by nature, who knows?
    this is actually a good example on why you don't want Revit automatically guessing all your other details. I get lots of comments here at work as to why Revit doesn't put in studs, and top plates, and headers, etc. I always tell them that there's no way the program could guess as to what you want those details to be, and you'd have to go through the whole model checking every condition that Revit tried to automatically figure out on its own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12