See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Cannot delete AutoCAD files

Login to Give a bone

Default Cannot delete AutoCAD files

Several times while trying to save a file I get an error that says the file is in use by another user/application. If I keep trying to save it will eventually save. However, sometimes it will not and I have to save as a different file name/path. Then there is no way to delete/edit this file.

Is there any solution to this? I'm sick of having irrelevant files sitting in my project folders.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot delete AutoCAD files

Quote Originally Posted by samloring363900 View Post
    Several times while trying to save a file I get an error that says the file is in use by another user/application. If I keep trying to save it will eventually save. However, sometimes it will not and I have to save as a different file name/path. Then there is no way to delete/edit this file.

Is there any solution to this? I'm sick of having irrelevant files sitting in my project folders.

Thanks.
    Can you tell us a little bit about your work setup? Meaning, are you working from your desktop computer's hard drive, or are you working off of a network location.
    If network location, can you share any details about the network's operations?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I'm working on a Windows 2003 network DHCP is deployed, ie all dynamic addresses. Not sure what else you need?

Login to Give a bone

Generally speaking, this seems to happen when there are network problems -- running out of usable disk space either locally or on the server, poor network connectivity, bad swithc, wonlky cabling, underpowered server handling too many concurrent tasks.

first thing I would do is clean out the temp files, both on the local machine and on the server, and ensure that there is a lot of free space on the shared drive.
    Last edited by cadtag; 2013-01-29 at 02:52 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Had similar issues when my previous company went with a Windows 2008 server, and this from a Linux server (we needed a Windows Domain + Directory Service for some other program). Swapped the file server out and used Windows only as the domain server. The FS was changed to a virtual machine running inside the Windows Server using CentOS. Never had the same problems again. Not to mention there were extra VM's running stuff like email servers, DB, firewall, etc. All on the same hardware as when we had the issues through win.

Goes to show: Shared CPU/RAM/Network resources on a Linux server = better efficiency and robustness than MS's server hogging the entire system. It seems MS is a lot more sensitive to any form of network congestion / concurrency - and since you're simply sharing from a Win Workstation it's probably even more of an issue.

It should fix the issue (temporarily) if you restart the PC which hosts the shared folder. Though that means everyone's going to loose connection. Otherwise you could disconnect only those users which have locks on those files: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have seen this and have found it is related to Win7 file explorer. If I have the preview pane on then I will have this problem in all applications, toggling that off will free up the file and let me erase it. (Upper right icon in the file explorer.) Hope that helps.