Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would you do this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Why would you do this?

I have an emplyee who uses an Imperial title block in paperspace and works in model space in Metric. He scales the vport to .03937 to make it look right but it nevers works as the text is a little bit off and the blocks look strange.
    The situation we have is as follows:
    The project was started all in imperial as the client is American and now we have one drawing done half and half.
    I just want to know if there is any reason why this would be done this way.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why would you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by darthyoga View Post
    I have an emplyee who uses an Imperial title block in paperspace and works in model space in Metric. He scales the vport to .03937 to make it look right but it nevers works as the text is a little bit off and the blocks look strange.
    The situation we have is as follows:
    The project was started all in imperial as the client is American and now we have one drawing done half and half.
    I just want to know if there is any reason why this would be done this way.
    Other than he doesn't know what he's doing? None that I know of. He needs to be schooled quickly or let go!

I will bet that his QNEW is set to open the metricl model space template. So when he starts a new drawing and hits new, it opens that template. Then he has to make it work with the imperial PS template because he's already done the drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Actually has +10years with the company, +20 as a drafter. I have noticed this recently with quite a few of his drawings.
    Oh, well, here is the start of an akward week.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by darthyoga View Post
    Actually has +10years with the company, +20 as a drafter. I have noticed this recently with quite a few of his drawings.
    Oh, well, here is the start of an akward week.
    i suggest immediately disregarding experience with drafting having anything to do with knowing how to draft. Alot of the "older" cad guys I run into have very sloppy work and standards...

Now try making that person your CAD manager, and you have what get to deal with.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I'd advise you to get this drawing fixed - you should never, ever, ever, mix imperial & metric in one DWG (or even xref one into another). It causes untold problems with linetype scaling and hatches, never mind that you will have some weird viewport scales.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    I'd advise you to get this drawing fixed - you should never, ever, ever, mix imperial & metric in one DWG (or even xref one into another). It causes untold problems with linetype scaling and hatches, never mind that you will have some weird viewport scales.
    Im finding out alot of interesting things that happen. Than you for all your replies, I will be adding this as a prt of our standards.

Login to Give a bone

I find that if you directly confront (in private, of course) the user on issues like this. You will quickly get to the root cause and as a bonus - will have their buy-in to implement changes or take steps to modify their behavior.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dsthilare View Post
    i suggest immediately disregarding experience with drafting having anything to do with knowing how to draft. Alot of the "older" cad guys I run into have very sloppy work and standards...

Now try making that person your CAD manager, and you have what get to deal with.
    Careful how you start swinging that around here . You may be stepping on some old toes.
    Im one of those "older" drafters, and I do real clean work and police the cadd work at my office.

You do have a point, "doing it a long time" doesn't necessarily mean doing it well or right. You can only assume that if they've been doing it wrong for that much time, either his employer doesn't care or he hasn't been caught, either way most firms won't stand for it.

Yes there are drafters that have been "doing it a long time" and doing it poorly. And I have run into many young "new" drafters right out of school that don't have a clue too .

It depends on who they're workng for and, what's being allowed. I work with some "older drafters" that have a hard time working with standards, as well as new folks that I have to keep an eye on too, but they're coming around.

Anyway, to help answer the OP's question, as others have said, you SHOULDN'T mix imperial with metric as you stated. I have worked on projects where it was all done in imperial and a soft metric alternate dimension style was used. And I've done full metric, and as others have mentioned, you're using an entirely different library of linetypes etc. So this offender needs to be spoken to, and have them fix the drawings to what ever is required for the project.

Unless of course this older drafter was told by someone higher to do it that way, which would be bad too!!

My two cents anyway.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

There are times that inserting an imperial/metric into the other is needed. Something I've gotten into the habit of doing though is rather than inserting at a scale (.03937...) I insert at a scale of 1. After the insert I'll scale the insert using the reference feature with a value 25.4 and 1. Let AutoCAD do the math.

I don't see how this could make much difference with a title block but if you were working with a large survey or map coords it could result in more satisfactory accuracy of drawings.

Login to Give a bone

Holy cr@p. You guys should see what goes on in MY office. We too have and old dog who's "drafting" forever but messes CAD up badly. The running joke is that he is not the "CAD Manager" but rather the "CAD Mangler".

I would provide a list of his bad habits, but there are SO many it would crash the internet.

As for trying to "fix" his bad habits - don't bother. If he is anything like my guy, he has management right where he wants them, and nothing will change.

I've been trying for 9 years to "fix" my guy, but at the end of the day, who do you think management is going to listen to - the younger snapper full of pi$$ and vinegar trying to change the world, or the lazy old dog who's been drafting for 30 years and with the company for 20 years?

The only thing that will work is to sneak up behind and whack him in the back of the head with an AutoCAD manual.

But I'm not bitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast