See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: polyline to viewport

Login to Give a bone

Default polyline to viewport

Using Convert Object to Viewport command when I convernt a closed polyline to a viewport and then select that viewport in the Properties dialog box CAD shows 2 objects selected one is the viewport and the other one is the polyline itself. I think after converting the polyline to viewport it should be a single object only and not two.

Secondly if their are 2 objects then why the viewport is not visible and only the polyline is visible. Is the viewport some invisible entity that we cannot select separately without selecting the polyline. If they are two objects how to separate them from each other.

Please Explain.

Thanks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: polyline to viewport

This behaviour is correct. The polyline is the clipping path for the viewport. If you delete the polyline the viewport will go back to being un-clipped. Why would you want to separate them!

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mdsalman2003 View Post
    Using Convert Object to Viewport command when I convernt a closed polyline to a viewport and then select that viewport in the Properties dialog box CAD shows 2 objects selected one is the viewport and the other one is the polyline itself. I think after converting the polyline to viewport it should be a single object only and not two.

Secondly if their are 2 objects then why the viewport is not visible and only the polyline is visible. Is the viewport some invisible entity that we cannot select separately without selecting the polyline. If they are two objects how to separate them from each other.

Please Explain.

Thanks.
    This is the way it has always functioned. Iif you want a rectangular viewport, use mview, and draw the rectangle. When you want odd shaped viewports (i.e. circle), select the object option from mview and click on the object. When selected, in 2010, it shows the viewport properties by default, but it is still one of 2 objects, the circle cannot be separated from the viewport, if you try to delete it they both go away. The circle is the clipping boundary for the viewport. In the properties palette, you can modify both objects independently of each other by selecting the appropriate object from the pulldown at the top.

Login to Give a bone

To put it another way - every viewport is rectangular. If it appears non-rectangular it has been clipped so you need both the viewport and its clipping object.