Thread: show existing walls as filled

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default show existing walls as filled

The architect has asked us to show existing walls as filled in as they are on the architectural plans, which they accomplish by doing a graphic override for the existing phase. I did the same thing in our model but the walls only show as filled in when I switch the discipline in "architectural" in the view properties. Of course I want to keep the discipline mechanical, so how else can I accomplish this? Where are there settings to control how things are shown differently based on the discipline of the view? Is there somewhere I can change a setting to use the override on the walls in mechanical views as they do in architectural views?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: show existing walls as filled

could you set the linked view to whatever view the arch is using and set the link discipline to "by linked view (arch)". I'm not quite sure if that will work but I've set my links to this in order to avoid the halftoning of the backgrounds....the only issue I've seen w/ this is that items near/on the walls get obscured by the "gap" around the walls. haven't found a good way to eliminate that besides changing the gap settings to something VERY small.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Couldn't you set the view to Architectural and set the link to half tone in Visibility Graphics, as well as adjusting the halftone density settings to get the floor plan the right shade? or is it just a matter of keeping your view set to mechanical?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by smcmillin View Post
    Couldn't you set the view to Architectural and set the link to half tone in Visibility Graphics, as well as adjusting the halftone density settings to get the floor plan the right shade? or is it just a matter of keeping your view set to mechanical?
    What else will change if I set my views to architectural? I know it would screw up the project browser as well as be confusing because it would say architectural even though in reality it is mechanical. Knowing what controls how things are overridden based on the discipline of the view would get to the source of my problem. I'd switch them to architectural if it solves the problem, but I'm also unsure what else that would change.

Login to Give a bone

Also, if I change the view to Architectural, my pipes disappear, even though they're still on in v/g. So does that mean the view discipline overrides the v/g overrides? Now I'm really confused...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by moliva View Post
    could you set the linked view to whatever view the arch is using and set the link discipline to "by linked view (arch)". I'm not quite sure if that will work but I've set my links to this in order to avoid the halftoning of the backgrounds....the only issue I've seen w/ this is that items near/on the walls get obscured by the "gap" around the walls. haven't found a good way to eliminate that besides changing the gap settings to something VERY small.
    I tried this, it doesn't work. I thought maybe I'd just have to change the discipline of the link to from "by host view" to architectural, but this doesn't make it use the phase overrides (which fill in the walls).

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

What about setting the discipline to coordination?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timsea81 View Post
    I tried this, it doesn't work. I thought maybe I'd just have to change the discipline of the link to from "by host view" to architectural, but this doesn't make it use the phase overrides (which fill in the walls).
    does it make any difference if you set the link to "by linked view" so that everything in that link is showing as that view? does it make any difference if the view range is cutting walls or above walls?

actually, if the architect asked me to show his existing walls filled in my mechanical plans I'd tell him where to get off since it would likely make my plans much harder to read.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Try this.
    In RVT Links
    Linked views: floor plan: (exact arch view)
    Phase:By Linked
    Detail level: By Linked
    Discipline: By Linked Architectural

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your help everyone. Turns out it was just a weird glitch, the drawings print with the walls filled in even though they don't show up that way on the screen for some reason? Weird, but it works for me...