Thread: Window Mullion not showing up in plan

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Window Mullion not showing up in plan

I made a window family that has a nested mullion and glass pane which is arrayed to make a multiple lite window. However my mullions and glass pane are not visible in plan when they are inserted into a project.

My mullion and glass pane were created in a Generic Model template but I changed the category from "Generic" to "Window" before I nested them into my window family template.

My sill height is such that the cut plane of the level in the project goes thru the middle of my window.

I have attached the family if someone would like to take a look at it. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to why they are not visible in plan?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Window Mullion not showing up in plan

I get this all the time when making window families with nested frames/sashes/casements.

There have been a number of posts on the subject within the forum - I'll see if I can track them down.

Sometimes it is simpler to add some lines to the plan view in the family which usually do show in the project plan view.

Login to Give a bone

Windows are notorious for this (especially those with a low profile). When displaying floor plan view information of families within a project, Revit goes back to the Ref Level (floor plan) View within the Family Editor. If the View Range settings for this view do not cut through the window mullion, it will not display correctly in Revit.

Select the offending window in the project.
    Click "Edit Family".
    Go to the Ref Level View.
    Do you see the window mullions in this view?
    If things look ok, I'm not sure I can help you.
    If they don't, play with the View Range settings so it does display correctly.
    Then Load the Family back into the project.
    Unfortunately, the view range settings are not by Family Type, so if you have other window types within this same family that are displaying correctly, this "fix" might break them.

Otherwise, if you kept the "Default Sill Height" parameter, you can play with different values within your project to get it to display correctly. Changing this value will NOT adjust the actual mounting height of the window (that's the job of the "Sill Height" parameter).

Login to Give a bone

My mullions show up correctly while within the family editor. I always remove the "default sill height" parameter from our windows.

Not sure what it is but it's really annoying, all of our other windows without any arrayed or nested objects function without any problems.

Sigh.

Login to Give a bone

This looks as though it could be relevant:
    http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_we...le-family.html

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

This has to do with family cut plane. every hosted element within your family
    needs to have an associated cut plane. Visibility parameters and other tricks are
    just a short term fix and does not address the problem at its core or explain the problem. Also
    some families are too complex to be control that way.
    The cut plane for families will determine the how each nested component will look. Go that
    component and right click on plan view. Change the view range for that components. If there
    are any layers of nesting in your family you may need to change the view range for each family
    layer. Finally when you get out of the layers (think of inception) and into the project brower' then the
    view range will need to be updated as well.