Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detail lines Floor Plans and Ceiling Plans

Login to Give a bone

Default Detail lines Floor Plans and Ceiling Plans

Is their a way when drawing detail lines in a Floor Plan view, 1st Floor, have them appear in the Ceiling Plan, 1st Floor View?

For instance we may draw the location of a ceiling mounted projector with detail lines, but we need to see the location of it in a floor plan view to coordinate furniture/equipment that may be under it.

Thank You

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detail lines Floor Plans and Ceiling Plans

Detail lines are only in a single view, they are actually part of the view and not part of the model. Model lines are visible in any view but can create alot of clutter. Why not make a ceiling based projector family with an invisible line drawn vertically to intersect the cut plane of the floor plan?

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Or group the details lines and paste to same place in your floor plan - therefore if you update them in one place they update in the other

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    Or group the details lines and paste to same place in your floor plan - therefore if you update them in one place they update in the other
    Except they won't update their positions automatically. If you move one instance of the group in a floor plan, you will have to manually update it in a ceiling plan - unless you create some mutual reference (Ref. Plane?) and lock both of them to it...

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Use symbolic Lines in a family, and put it on the ceiling the way the projector will be.

Then underlay the RCP in your floor plan, and Linework tool the Object.

Detail lines arent the way to do it...

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Use symbolic Lines in a family, and put it on the ceiling the way the projector will be.

Then underlay the RCP in your floor plan, and Linework tool the Object.

Detail lines arent the way to do it...
    I stand by my detail lines - we just dont move the group - we edit the group if we need to move anything. The reason I dont like the linework tool in this case is if you add or copy an element, it wont show up

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by techsupport.161645 View Post
    Is their a way when drawing detail lines in a Floor Plan view, 1st Floor, have them appear in the Ceiling Plan, 1st Floor View?

For instance we may draw the location of a ceiling mounted projector with detail lines, but we need to see the location of it in a floor plan view to coordinate furniture/equipment that may be under it.

Thank You
    Underlay the RCP, use the linework tool to pick out the outline you want as <Overhead> lines and turn off the underlay. Now the ceiling object is graphically represented in the plan, with no "extra" anything, just a revised representation. It will move and resize with the projector on the ceiling because it IS the projector on the ceiling. Note that this doesn't work if you also punted to drafting for the projector in the ceiling. But if you did that you don't see the projector in 3D or elevations or sections or... Punting to drafting may feel right when you do it, but there is a better answer about 99% of the time. Aaron might argue for 100%.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

When I attempt to draw Model Lines in the Ceiling plan the following message appears:

"None of the created elements are visible in Reflected Ceiling Plan: First Floor Ceiling Plan View. You may want to check the active view, its Parameters, and Visibility settings, as well as any Plan Regions and their settings."

Login to Give a bone

Please don't take offense at this. But I strongly suggest you stop drawing lines in Revit. If you are drawing lines you aren't using the program properly. Build a family(it may have lines in it). Reload and then figure out how to "see" it the way you want.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    I stand by my detail lines - we just dont move the group - we edit the group if we need to move anything. The reason I dont like the linework tool in this case is if you add or copy an element, it wont show up
    Stand by them if you wish, no harm in having a passionate opinion.

But remember that Revit doesnt handle DRAWN elements the way CAD did with model Space, since its looking for OBJECTS to handle building components.

Allow me to tell you a short story:

Doing architecture years ago, on a very simple Core and Shell Building. We werent Structural (Arch only at the time) and the Structural Engineer wasnt in Revit. The Revit Managers in charge said "use detail lines to show the Cross bracing." So someone did.

That was on the comprehensive Floor Plan. Then someone made some Area floor plans. The detail lines werent there. I think in some instances they even caught it, and put them in. Then someone made some Tenant Interiors plans, and the crossbracing LINES werent there.

Long story short, they got all the way through TI work and never picked up the X bracing. It wasnt seen on site since the TI drawings were getting done while the shell was still getting built.

Point is, LINES arent OBJECTS. It doesnt mean you have to take time to MODEL something COMPLEX. But Revits efficiency comes from the way it handles OBJECTS in Views, not LINES in views. File | New | Family | Generic Model Ceiling Hosted | Draw 4 lines. Load. Go to RCP, place family. Go to plan, set underlay, Linework tool.

Making a family with lines takes an extra 15 seconds over drawing lines. And yes, Gordon, ill say its the right thing to do 100% of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast