Thread: Questions for AutoCAD Users

Login to Give a bone

Default Questions for AutoCAD Users

Hi everyone! My name is Karen. I am currently an interior design student and for my next assignment I am to interview someone who uses AutoCAD in the work place. My instructor has directed me here to get answers but I'm not sure if I am in the right forum or not. If not could someone please direct me to where I need to be or if anyone can help me by answering the following the question to help me with my assignment it would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

What is your name, location and profession?

When do ygou use CAD in the production process? i.e. all phases of design, preliminary, or development?

What types of standardization do you use? i.e. US National CAD Standard.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of CAD?

Can AutoCAD be used effectively for designing as it is used for reading construction documents? Can you briefly explain?

Do you use modelspace and paperspace? Why or why not?

If you do use modelspace and paperspace, every AutoCAD drawing is created on a scale of 1:1. Won't the scale hinder you as a designer in terms of sheet layout? Why or why not?

If you don't use modelspace and paperspace, how do you plot for the various scales on each sheet?

Do you use other standardizations within the workplace such as blocks or templates?

What are some "short cuts" you use frequently when working with AutoCAD?

Thanks so much!!

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Questions for AutoCAD Users

Quote Originally Posted by parhamkaren View Post
    Hi everyone! My name is Karen. I am currently an interior design student and for my next assignment I am to interview someone who uses AutoCAD in the work place. My instructor has directed me here to get answers but I'm not sure if I am in the right forum or not. If not could someone please direct me to where I need to be or if anyone can help me by answering the following the question to help me with my assignment it would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!
    Sure....
    What is your name, location and profession?
    Ted, South Portland Maine, Senior Structural Designer
    When do ygou use CAD in the production process? i.e. all phases of design, preliminary, or development?
    All... from concept to as-built drawings
    What types of standardization do you use? i.e. US National CAD Standard.
    Yes, NCS 3.1 and 4.0 (and some of our clients impose thier own standards we need to follow)
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of CAD?
    Pros: Very precise, you only need to draw it once. Cons: One mistake can show up in an entire set of drawings!
    Can AutoCAD be used effectively for designing as it is used for reading construction documents? Can you briefly explain?
    I don't understand this question... AutoCAD isn't used for reading construction documents... it creates them. But, it's great for creating construction documents, and if you have the cadd files and they're drawn accurately, you can use AutoCAD to take measurements and it helps with material take-offs, is that what you mean?
    Do you use modelspace and paperspace? Why or why not?
    Yes MS/PS and xrefs! The design geometry is drawn 1:1 real size in model space it's that simple, and paper space represents the plot sheet ..a "piece of paper". It's much easier to plot the same size sheet in PS than we used to have to do in Release 10 (no PS) when we had to scale the title block up, not to mention different scales on one plot sheet.
    If you do use modelspace and paperspace, every AutoCAD drawing is created on a scale of 1:1. Won't the scale hinder you as a designer in terms of sheet layout? Why or why not?
    No (see above) we use viewports with scales, and match lines etc.
    If you don't use modelspace and paperspace, how do you plot for the various scales on each sheet?
    N/A... see above, above
    Do you use other standardizations within the workplace such as blocks or templates?
    Yes, we set up templates "dwt" and have block libraries too.
    What are some "short cuts" you use frequently when working with AutoCAD?
    Design Center is great for grabbing stuff from other drawings, I create allot of alias' in the PGP file (AutoCAD has an "Alias Editor" but I don't like it) I write AutoLisp routines to streamline funtions.
    Thanks so much!!
    Your Welcome... hope you get an A+

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Questions for AutoCAD Users

Ted,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me with my assignment! You will be blessed for this in the future I am sure! It sounds like you are very experienced and have been doing this for some time. I am just learing AutoCAD 2010 and I love it although there is so much to learn! We are getting into working with modelspace and paperspace tomorrow. To me it seems when there wasn't a paperspace it was very frustrating. I'm kinda glad I won't to do all that scaling! Thank you again for your valuable knowledge, your great insight, and taking the time to share it with me.

Sincerely,
    Karen

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Questions for AutoCAD Users

You might also want to look here.