Thread: Revit MEP 2010 Families Guide

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit MEP 2010 Families Guide

OK, so I'm going through this Families Guide Imperial Tutorials and I've tried to create the flange that starts on page 141 and I'm about to shoot anyone that asks me "How's it going?"

I've gone through this thing at least 6 times and when I get to the point where I've done the extrusions and switch to 3D, the two parts are separated by about 2 inches. I'm pretty sure this goes back to the dimensioning of the reference planes back in steps 52 - 63 but, I can't put my finger on it. I've tried switching a few things around but, this one has me bugged big time.

Has anyone else tried this tutorial with success? I don't want to give up on this one and move on because this is for a piping flange and could be an important go-by in my position.

These are straight off the Autodesk websites and while I know not all tutorials are perfect, I think this one is a simple fix, I'm just not seeing it. I know there's a mistake in the text, just haven't been able to narrow it down.

Any ideas??
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit MEP 2010 Families Guide

Hi Paul,

That tutorial for the flange is a tricky one. In developing and testing the tutorial here at Autodesk, we've found that some users make their way through the steps just fine, while others get tripped up (for a variety of reasons) along the way.

The steps in the procedure are correct and should work for you. I know how frustrating it can be to try to get through it several times without success. Perhaps putting it aside for these last couple of days and then coming back to it will cause you to do something in a slightly different way, and then have it finally work.

Maybe others who've had success with this tutorial can share their tips as well.

Good luck,
    Karen Smith
    Autodesk
    Manchester, NH

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by karen.smith.223476 View Post
    Hi Paul,

That tutorial for the flange is a tricky one. In developing and testing the tutorial here at Autodesk, we've found that some users make their way through the steps just fine, while others get tripped up (for a variety of reasons) along the way.

The steps in the procedure are correct and should work for you. I know how frustrating it can be to try to get through it several times without success. Perhaps putting it aside for these last couple of days and then coming back to it will cause you to do something in a slightly different way, and then have it finally work.

Maybe others who've had success with this tutorial can share their tips as well.

Good luck,
    Karen Smith
    Autodesk
    Manchester, NH
    I had similar problems with the elbow in 2009, I'm now trying to simply find the Families Guide in 2010 for much the same reason, I need flanges, standard pipe fittings(weld) I've tried many times.

Login to Give a bone

Check out this link: http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_we...ies-guide.html.

Karen Smith
    Autodesk

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by karen.smith.223476 View Post
    Check out this link: http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_we...ies-guide.html.

Karen Smith
    Autodesk
    OK Karen, I've given it some time and decided to go through the flange part again. Here's my dilema. On page 145, step 34, it says to select the dimension between the left plane and center left plane and label it LenA2. When you turn the page to page 147, the image at the bottom of the page shows LenA2 as being from the left plane to the RIGHT plane.

I definitely think that's a big issue in this family. Also, nothing is said about clicking on the EQ symbols to equalize the lengths from the center plane but, that's a given if you've been using the program for any amount of time.

As before, any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I've still not found a Revit MEP Family Tutorial that is correct through completion. I really don't know how anyone is able to make families this way.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

I've yet to find ANY of the online help guides that are completely correct. They all have some difference from what is actually on your screen when you are trying to go through them. It's like they were written for a ribbon that is different from the one I have. We are using the up to date version of the software and we keep finding these little things all over the place. We have found that usually it's there somewhere and presented just slightly different, but so far it's never exactly correct.