Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I forgot how to customize :-(

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy I forgot how to customize :-(

I have been working in Autocad since Junior High, and doing it proffesionally for over 14 years. Over time, I have built up a ton of little shortcuts, tricks, and macros. I took a one year sebatical from CAD, and in that time my CAD computer harddrive died taking all my files with it. I can't remember how to do half the stuff, and I have never worked in 2008, my last exposure was ADT 3.3. I'm sure that I can track down all the stuff eventually on my own, but I am feeling very very innept at my new job, and new computer. If there is anyone who is willing to help me get jumpstarted, I would appreciate it, no worries if not.

The first thing I am trying to remember is shortcut macros. For example, I used to have a macro where I typed "xv" then enter, and xline vertical would be my current command. Can someone nudge me in the right direction as to how to make commands like that again?

Another thing I am having trouble with is mapping "shift" or "ctrl" commands to my mouse buttons. I used to be able to hold down ctrl right click for one command, shift right click for another, etc.

Thanks again, I am not being lazy, I will be looking for all of that regardless.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I forgot how to customize :-(

Ah, a case of "didn't use it so I lost it!"

For keyboard shortcuts that do more than just launch a command (those simple ones are edited in the Acad.pgp file and can be easily edited using Express Tools AliasEdit) you usually use Visual LISP.

Store the code in a file called AcadDoc.lsp (not Acad2008Doc.lsp!) so that it will load every time you start a new drawing. Keep the file in a folder that appears on the AutoCAD support path. The best place is on the network so it can follow you around, but you need to add that path to the support folders.

Sample:
    Code:
    (defun C:XV () 
     (command "._XLine" "_vertical")
     (princ))
    For the mouse buttons you can try the CUI, Mouse Button node. But if you are trying to program more that the standard two buttons, you really need to use the mouse driver.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Ah, a case of "didn't use it so I lost it!"

For keyboard shortcuts that do more than just launch a command (those simple ones are edited in the Acad.pgp file and can be easily edited using Express Tools AliasEdit) you usually use Visual LISP.

Store the code in a file called AcadDoc.lsp (not Acad2008Doc.lsp!) so that it will load every time you start a new drawing. Keep the file in a folder that appears on the AutoCAD support path. The best place is on the network so it can follow you around, but you need to add that path to the support folders.

Sample:
    Code:
    (defun C:XV () 
     (command "._XLine" "_vertical")
     (princ))
    For the mouse buttons you can try the CUI, Mouse Button node. But if you are trying to program more that the standard two buttons, you really need to use the mouse driver.
    I definitely lost it, thanks for the code reminder, some is already coming back to me. I found the option for the mouse buttons, and of course remapped the macro definition instead of the command, so lost my shift right click. All fixed now, but that is the stuff that is getting to me. I was able to program my trackball explorer extra mouse buttins through their interface, but had to roll the driver back to a 4.2 version to reclaim the keystroke ability. Strange. Thanks for the help, if I run into any real stubling blocks, can I post to this thread?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
    Thanks for the help, if I run into any real stubling blocks, can I post to this thread?
    If you have a specific question, it is probably better to search for a similar topic and if it doesn't exist, create a specific thread for the specific question. This wil help others searching for answers, since they typically look at thread titles to determine if the found posts might be useful.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If you have a specific question, it is probably better to search for a similar topic and if it doesn't exist, create a specific thread for the specific question. This wil help others searching for answers, since they typically look at thread titles to determine if the found posts might be useful.

Good point, thanks again.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Were you thinking of this one?
    ^C^C_xline;v;

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Munford View Post
    ^C^C_xline;v;
    That won't be enough by itself. The OP wanted to type "xv" to execute that command.

That command macro could be assigned to keyboard shortcuts but keyboard shortcuts would not permit the assignment of "xv" in the CUI.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Munford View Post
    ^C^C_xline;v;
    I honestly don't remember how I wrote them, anything that works. The good news is that I remembered that two or three years ago I had already ported most of my customization to a laptop with 2008 installed on it, but then never ended up using the laptop. I checked it out tonight and most of the commands I want are working. The thing is, I don't know what I did to make them work. I noticed that there is an export customization button. Is there anything special I need to do, or is there some sort of "export all" function. I am going to bring the laptop into work tomorrow and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for any heads up advice on how to make it go smoothly.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
    The thing is, I don't know what I did to make them work. I noticed that there is an export customization button. Is there anything special I need to do, or is there some sort of "export all" function. I am going to bring the laptop into work tomorrow and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for any heads up advice on how to make it go smoothly.
    Hopefully you placed all your customizations in folders that are not part of the standard AutoCAD install. And then you added those new folders to the AutoCAD support path in Options, Files. That makes it easier to port customizations.

Otherwise, slog thru the listed support folders looking for your files. And place them on the new computer as I mentioned above.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: I forgot how to customize :-(

Hopefully you placed all your customizations in folders that are not part of the standard AutoCAD install. And then you added those new folders to the AutoCAD support path in Options, Files. That makes it easier to port customizations.

Otherwise, slog thru the listed support folders looking for your files. And place them on the new computer as I mentioned above.
    God help me I can't remember what I did. It's all good though, it will be helpful for me to play with it and learn some. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast