Thread: Cannot Purge or Audit File

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Cannot Purge or Audit File

I have a 200MB file in Revit 2009 and the team has started complain of frequent crashes now that the project is in CA. I attempted to purge the file and the file froze up. I attempted to Detach from Central and Audit and the file crashed. What are some other options for dealing with a file that can't be purged or audited? This file has over 100 linked dwg's in that are being used for details and there are 600+ Warnings.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Cannot Purge or Audit File

If you have a good 64 bit machine with lots of RAM, try using it, when no one else is working on the file. 8 -12 GB RAM would be good.

I suspect that you are having a insufficient memory error.

Can you get rid of any of the cad files? Those are seriously causing performance issues.

32 bit OS w/ 4 GB limitation will not be able to handle this file.

cheers.......

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot Purge or Audit File

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    If you have a good 64 bit machine with lots of RAM, try using it, when no one else is working on the file. 8 -12 GB RAM would be good.

I suspect that you are having a insufficient memory error.

Can you get rid of any of the cad files? Those are seriously causing performance issues.

32 bit OS w/ 4 GB limitation will not be able to handle this file.

cheers.......
    I do have the 64 bit machine with the 8 GB RAM...I just got it and was waiting to do the purge after I was set up but unfortunatly it didn't make a difference. I suspect the Cad files along with the 600+ errors are causing some problems. Are there options to send this off to Autodesk to take a look at? Thanks for your feedback.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot Purge or Audit File

Start to grin and bear it, youve got a lot of cleanup work ahead.

Orphan the links temporarily, by moving them out of their directory. They simply wont load. Then see if the file behaves better. If it does... well... Start teaching them to detail in Revit.

If orphaning the links doesnt do it, get ready to eat a few hours cleaning up warnings. Theres no hard and fast rule, but some testing i did a few years ago on a project team of 5 in a 200 MB file in a 32 bit environment was that at or about 200-300 warnings, things started to go poorly. Failed STC's, trouble relinquishing, and more frequent crashing, as well as horrendous slowdowns during very simple tasks.

Now the bad news... Theres not *super quick way* to deal with them, aside from fixing them or deleting a ton of stuff.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Cannot Purge or Audit File

I thought of another possibility:

Try Grouping large "chunks" of the model, and then make a new Revit project from the Group.

Open the new revit project, which should be smaller, and try purging/auditing it.

If you are able to do this, and purge successfully, then "bind" it back into your original
    project.

You might try doing this several times, in various portions of the building.

Just a thought.......

cheers