Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing details

Login to Give a bone

I am looking for feedback on what other people are doing to manage their details.

In Acad we had a nice library of details, each it its own file, and uses a document manager, so that a user could find the detail they needed by seeing a preview and reading a description. Then the correct detail would just be draged into the Acad detail sheet as a block.

I would like to do somthing simular with Revit. I haven't experimented, but I was thinking about saving new (and converted Acad details) as groups and the inserting them in. But really I would really like to know what everyone else has done to manage their standard details. I don't really like the idea of building them into a project template, because every project is a little different and uses different details.

Also for those of you who had a large collection of standard Acad details, how did you convert them? We are making progress towards moving completely to Revit, and I am hoping that there is a solution in Revit that worked as well as the setup with Acad.

Thank you for all and any input.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Managing details

One way is to create a set of standard detail files, organised in a similar manner to your families - doors, windows etc.

All you standards live there and you copynpaste from there into your projects.

Acad details can also be kept in a these files, in sub folders, and can be linked or imported into drafting views. This means you don't have to retrace them of course.

Login to Give a bone

how would you be saving the detials? As groups? If they are saved as families I thought the annotation would probably not display...unless it is a annotation or detail component.

Login to Give a bone

Just saved as rvt. I don't group either.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The method Scott Brown has shared in previous discussions is one I personally favor too...(until something better is presented to us)

Separate projects with details by subject matter...doors, windows etc.

Then you copy and paste the details from the "master" detail project into your current project.

Login to Give a bone

Is there a thread on Scott Brown's method? I serched "details and manageing" but didn't find anything. You are saying that he was using a seperate project for each major group...like foundation details, framing details, etc?

Sounds interesting. It would be nice to have some type of library method someday though. The Acad set up was really smooth for selecting and inserting.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well maybe I imagined it in this BB? We talked about it when I met him this summer....in the meantime Scott did post a brief explanation on the alt.cad.revit ng the other day, here it is quoted: (Perhaps he'll elaborate if he has time...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbrown
    What we have done is develope sep. detail projects, we have one
    for door and window details, one for roof details, typ. toilet
    layouts and details, expansion joints, stairs and elevators, etc.

In each of these projects is where we create and copy to any standard
    details(drafting views) So any user can open up one of these projects
    and copy/paste the detail from there to their current project.
    It has worked great. It allows people to generate details(transfer
    old acad dwg's) that aren't working on the project or you don't
    want to have a workset issue with.

The only thing I ask for is the ability to save a drafting view
    and drag and drop a drafting view from one project to another.

Login to Give a bone

Okay...sounds like the "Detail project" has a bunch of drafting views each with a detail....as if you were doing it in your actual project. I will look into it. I started with it today, and then quickly decided to work on somthing else that is billable. It seems like transfering all of our Acad details is going to be hellish. They were all organized so well! I wish Revit would allow us to drag and drop Acad blocks without going through the import routine. Eventually it would be nice to have drafting views as somthing that can be browsed and inserted...another thing (is it already posted to the wishlist) that would help is to simply be able to copy and paste from two sessions of Revit. I usually have two open, 1 for my project and 1 for creating families.

Login to Give a bone

What would be useful to all who have posted on this topic is the ability to import multiple Drafting Views similar to other shared resources. This would save having to create a new drafting view, re-assign the scale, and re-type the title each time a standard detail is used. (This would apply whether the Drafting View contains imported lines or Revit 2D.)

The way I organize my details is inside a single Revit project file that has Drafting views organized by CSI number, then by scale. A typical view might be called 8.2 Windows, Aluminum, 3".

Inside this view are all the 3" scale al. window details, in numerical order (they each have a number like 8.2.12). I select the ones I need and copy and paste into a new Drafting View in the project I am working on. Keeps all the details in one master file.

This brings up another wish list item: I would like to nest groups of Drafting Views in the Project Browser, version 6 allows you to control Views and Sheets, why not other objects? Would tidy things up.

Login to Give a bone

I keep saying this and maybe it is something that only works for me for some reason, but despite the problem with groups tgenerally, they work well for detail assemblies so you can save all your details as groups and then just drag them in from a browser window and drag them onto detail sheets. Saves a little cutting and pasting andenables you to incorporate DWG blocks as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by david@stearnsarchitecture
    This brings up another wish list item: I would like to nest groups of Drafting Views in the Project Browser, version 6 allows you to control Views and Sheets, why not other objects? Would tidy things up.
    You can use shared parameters for this in 6. UnderSsettings>Project Parameters you have the option to introduce additional project parameters and assign them to specific groups, so you could assign Detail Type to Views and then sort on this parameter. It will make all views subject to this parameter but at least you would be able to sort the details quickly - you could set the Detail Type to Doors, Windows, Floor/Wall Junctions and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast