Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Join Roofs

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't Join Roofs

I just dealt with a similar situation....had been working around similar situations for a while, but I figured out the answer while I was looking at this posts.

First I set up my smaller gable roof so that it extended well into the main roof and so it completly intersects the main roof. Then I join the roofs using the Join Geometry tool (NOT the Join/Unjoin Roofs too)- this will show the valley line in the roof plan. Go to your roof plan and edit the smaller gable roof that lays on top of the primary roof. Edit the footprint so that the footprint follows the valley lines. That worked for me.

Login to Give a bone

Alternatively, you could set your smaller roof fascia at the same level as the main roof. Also, check to make sure they are both plumb-cut, or square-cut.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - CSG View Post
    Alternatively, you could set your smaller roof fascia at the same level as the main roof. Also, check to make sure they are both plumb-cut, or square-cut.
    In adeuley's case that might work, but my method will work if the roofs have different fascia levels also. Not sure what his design intent was. In my case I have a gable roof that is set back 1ft from the fascia on the main roof, If I wanted the same fascia/eave height I would just set it up as one roof- the key to making a roof with multiple roof pitches is the align eaves tool. make sure every eave is aligned or it won't work.

Login to Give a bone

I personally don't like to sketch a roof footprint manually to follow valley lines. For one thing, there are just too many things that can change throughout the course of design that can break the roof intersection, where it either cuts into the main roof again, or doesn't touch it at all. Then you have to keep adjusting the dormer roof over and over. Also you end up with vertical fascia edges along the "valley" edges of the dormer roof, which are not desirable in section. The edges don't follow the slope of the main roof.

In my experience, the roof join tool usually works better if you can start with a piece of the dormer roof that does not touch the main roof at all. Just a little sliver, as was mentioned above, when the short edges on each end being the slope-defining lines. Then use the roof join tool to stretch the sliver back to the face of the main roof.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for that explanation, it makes perfect sense!

Login to Give a bone

Hi All,

I have read this thread looking for an answer to my problem of joining roofs together.
    I have tried several methods of re-drawing including - an entire new roof, using the dormer tool, using the slope tool in sketch outline mode and creating a slither of roof and joining using the roof join tool.

I have given up!

I attach a pdf for an image of the roof in question. As you can see I have successfully drawn 1 dormer. There should be another identical dormer along the same elevation.
    The plan image indicates the partially successful method used. Namely;
    1.drawing the outline in sketch mode
    2.giving the relevant pitches to the relevant edges
    3.using the define slope tool to create a dormer pitch within the main roof
    4 using the join walls tool to fill in the wall element of the dormer.

As you would expect I then tried to repeat this and I just cannot get another dormer in this roof! Any/All suggestions welcomed and thank you for your time!
    Dormer.jpg

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Can you upload your roof? I cannot recreate your issue here, all working good on my end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12