Thread: FILTER command less useful than it once was?

Login to Give a bone

Default FILTER command less useful than it once was?

I was showing a coworker how to use the filter command (he AEC 2010, me 2011), and most of the examples I used to show him how it works came back as "0 found". I have used this powerful command for years and find I cannot live without it. The last version of AutoCAD I used regularly (before the recession and subsequent layoffs) was 2007. I finally have steady employement again (yea!), but have been using 2011. The command just doesn't seem as useful as it once was. Has anyone else noticed in the newer versions of AutoCAD that it renders less positive results than it once did? Is AutoDesk aware of the issue (if one exists)? Just curious...

An example is trying to locate which blocks in a designcenter master block file are using certain dimstyles or textstyles, in order to clean things up. These names exist in the database and when the block is inserted, yet if you filter by "dimension style" or "dimstyle name" you get a big fat 0 for items found. I am pretty certain FILTER used to work even if the object you are looking for is embedded in a block. But no more? Anyone else noticed this or has it NEVER been able to search things out that are in blocks?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FILTER command less useful than it once was?

No, neither filter nor qselect works on nested entities. For that type of functionality you need some custom routines.

But you're correct, filter has some problems these days. Especially with blocks, since it's not been updated to work with dynamic blocks - the QSelect however does work with DBs. Also, you're using AEC - I don't think filter works on vertical entities, only normal Vanila entity types ... sorry, I don't use AEC myself so I can't check.