Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD 2002 LT & Windows 7 Compatibility?

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2002 LT & Windows 7 Compatibility?

I have an old version of AutoCAD 2002 LT at home that I occasionally use and I was wondering if it would be possible to install it on my new laptop that is running Windows 7, which I think is 64 bit?

I know 2002 is really old, but I have ACAD 2010 at work and I don't have the money to upgrade from 2002 at home for occasional use.

Any idea?

Thank you

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2002 LT & Windows 7 Compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by bkimmel View Post
    I have an old version of AutoCAD 2002 LT at home that I occasionally use and I was wondering if it would be possible to install it on my new laptop that is running Windows 7, which I think is 64 bit?

I know 2002 is really old, but I have ACAD 2010 at work and I don't have the money to upgrade from 2002 at home for occasional use.

Any idea?

Thank you
    if your work is on subscription, have you looked into seeing if you can get a home use license?

Login to Give a bone

I doubt if many people are trying it, but there's really no reason it should not work. 2002 will run under XP, and doesn't require any specific version of dotNet to run.

Worst case is you'ld need to run Win7 professional and run 2002 under XP Mode.

**really worst case would be needing to run in a virtual machine booting XP, but I doubt if that would be necessary.

You could also look at DoubleCAD XT. There's a free version which is not restricted to non-commercial use, unlike the free ProgeCAD.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    if your work is on subscription, have you looked into seeing if you can get a home use license?
    No. I only use my 2002 version at home a couple times a year maybe, so it's not worth asking about a home use license. I was just curious if it would work was all.
    Last edited by bkimmel; 2010-03-01 at 08:51 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Worst case is you'ld need to run Win7 professional and run 2002 under XP Mode.
    I do not have Windows 7 Professional. I have Windows 7 Home Premiun edition, so I don't know if that would work.

Login to Give a bone

You could also look at DoubleCAD XT. There's a free version which is not restricted to non-commercial use, unlike the free ProgeCAD.
    I have never heard of DoubleCAD XT before. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Any idea?

Thank you

I do not have Windows 7 Professional. I have Windows 7 Home Premium edition, so I don't know if that would work.
    Then you will need to run XP-32 in a virtual machine or dual-boot Win7-64/XP-32.
    Dual-booting will allow full access to your graphics card under XP.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Then you will need to run XP-32 in a virtual machine or dual-boot Win7-64/XP-32.
    Dual-booting will allow full access to your graphics card under XP.
    I have no idea how to do that. I guess I'll probably just end up keeping 2002 on my old desktop computer and maybe installing DoubleCAD XT (like was suggested above) on my laptop and give that a try.

Thanks

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

**really worst case would be needing to run in a virtual machine booting XP, but I doubt if that would be necessary.
    doesn't running XP mode on Windows 7 automatically set up a virtual machine? Actually, I hope I'm dead wrong and there's a better way out there. I just bought a new laptop also with Windows 7 professional and the only way to run my AutoCAD 2007 was to download XP mode, install it, and then install Autocad 2007 IN XP mode. It is ridiculously slow! Every command or typed entry takes literally 20-40 seconds to process. Typing LINE at the command prompt takes about 20 seconds and then the command itself takes a while to get through. Is there something I did wrong in installing one or the other? Should I somehow install 2007 on Win7 but run it in XP mode (if that's possible)?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmo View Post
    doesn't running XP mode on Windows 7 automatically set up a virtual machine? Actually, I hope I'm dead wrong and there's a better way out there. I just bought a new laptop also with Windows 7 professional and the only way to run my AutoCAD 2007 was to download XP mode, install it, and then install Autocad 2007 IN XP mode. It is ridiculously slow! Every command or typed entry takes literally 20-40 seconds to process. Typing LINE at the command prompt takes about 20 seconds and then the command itself takes a while to get through. Is there something I did wrong in installing one or the other? Should I somehow install 2007 on Win7 but run it in XP mode (if that's possible)?
    The OP has Windows 7 Home Premium edition, not Professional or Ultimate so he doesn't have the luxury of XP mode - not for free anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast