Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AutoCAD 2002 LT & Windows 7 Compatibility?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2002 LT & Windows 7 Compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmo View Post
    doesn't running XP mode on Windows 7 automatically set up a virtual machine?
    Yes, running XPmode is running a virtual machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmo View Post
    Is there something I did wrong in installing one or the other? Should I somehow install 2007 on Win7 but run it in XP mode (if that's possible)?
    Most likely nothing is wrong with the install. You might not have the system resources available or allotted to the virtual machine. Remember your running two operating systems, plus any background programs each OS is running, and AutoCAD. Ideally you'll want a dual or quad core CPU and at least 6GB of RAM with Windows 7 64bit (So you can use that much RAM). Then devote 3 or 4GB to the virtual machine.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    The OP has Windows 7 Home Premium edition, not Professional or Ultimate so he doesn't have the luxury of XP mode - not for free anyway.
    There is VirtualBox thats free. If the OP has a spare license of XP then that would be a basically free option.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bkimmel View Post
    No. I only use my 2002 version at home a couple times a year maybe, so it's not worth asking about a home use license. I was just curious if it would work was all.
    This would probably be the best option. The home use license doesn't cost anything. Basically included in the price the company paid for their license. Plus you get to work in the same version at home and work. Making it easier to work from home if need be or allowed.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

If this works for really old stuff, something like it may work for 2002 LT.

I have been copying my Autocad 14 program from old laptop to new laptop for many years now. The original installation disks (a dozen 3.5 inch floppies - no CD drives back then!) were lost long ago, but I learned what to do to get things to turn on with a new machine. Everything worked easily throught Win XP, but yesterday I got a new Win 7 (32-bit system) machine and things got harder. After several hours of online research and trial/error (I am *really* tired of the error beep now !), it now seems to work.

Here is the recipe I have used over the years:

For Windows versions through XP:
    1. Copy the entire ACAD14 installation from your old machine to the new one.
    2. Find the files GDIFONT.HDI and HEIDI3.DLL and copy them to your C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM file.
    3. Find your ACAD.EXE file, right click, and send to desktop to create your desktop shortcut.
    4. Clicking on the shortcut should give you the drawing screen. Use config to reset drawing preferences, which don't seem to copy over (don't know why).

For Win 7, the above installation would hang with a fatal "heap error" message, aborting the program.
    Next steps: right click on the acad14 icon, go down to Properties, and then to Compatibility. Hit "Change settings for all users", then put the "Run program in compatibility mode for:" Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Next, check mark the setting "Disable desktop composition". Hit "Apply" and then "OK", back to the desktop.

The icon now works on my machine (HP E6500). But I am not sure if the recipe will work on all Win 7 machines. Perhaps you will need more trial/error to find exactly the right compatibility settings.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    The OP has Windows 7 Home Premium edition, not Professional or Ultimate so he doesn't have the luxury of XP mode - not for free anyway.
    Hi Everyone,

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and have tried running LT2002 in all compatability modes but with zero success.

My error message is:

Not Applicable. has stopped working

Any ideas greatly appreciated as I really like LT2002 and would hate to have to off load it to some other lucky user and spend loads upgrading unnecessarily.

Many thanks

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12