Thread: window detail component to hide in reflected ceiling plan

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default window detail component to hide in reflected ceiling plan

If I place a detail component in plan in my window family, but don't want it to show in my reflected ceiling plan in my project, is there a way to do that. I can hide the mullions/frame so it only will show the window header, but the detail component will show.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: window detail component to hide in reflected ceiling plan

You can select the "nested" detail component in the window family and specify the
    level of detail it will display at--Coarse, Medium, Fine, etc. We usually set it to display at Medium and Fine only.

Then load into your project.

In your RCP, set detail level to Coarse to "hide" the detail component.

If you need it to show up in enlarged ceiling plans/details, set detail level to Fine.

It may also be possible to add a new visibility parameter for Visibility set to On/Off
    or Yes/No, share the nested family, load into project and have even more control over
    the detail component's visibility. ( I have not tested this exact situation. )

cheers.........

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: window detail component to hide in reflected ceiling plan

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    You can select the "nested" detail component in the window family and specify the
    level of detail it will display at--Coarse, Medium, Fine, etc. We usually set it to display at Medium and Fine only.

Then load into your project.

In your RCP, set detail level to Coarse to "hide" the detail component.

If you need it to show up in enlarged ceiling plans/details, set detail level to Fine.

It may also be possible to add a new visibility parameter for Visibility set to On/Off
    or Yes/No, share the nested family, load into project and have even more control over
    the detail component's visibility. ( I have not tested this exact situation. )

cheers.........
    Thanks Cliff...However, unless everything else in the view is set to appropriate view scales, changing the view detail level won't always work...However, this did just remind me that you can override specific object types to display different view detail settings in Visibility graphics. That's something I just recently discovered and keep forgetting. So if you do set something to not show at a certain detail level, but not everything in the view will work out with that setting, you can change specific elements. But then you need to be sure all the elements you're overriding are set up the same.
    It's a difficult situation...until you get your entire workflow and standards setup, and get everyone on-board, little things like this will kill you. But once you've got it dialed in and consistent standards across the board, everything will be super slick...someday.
    As for changing the Yes/No visibility, unfortunately that will affect the element in all views, so it would also change the visibility in the plan view. As far as I know, there isn't a view based visibility setting you can modify in the family itself. I tried to make the nested detail a shared component so that I could individually select it and hide it in the view in the project, but you can't make detail components shared in a 3d family.