Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curtain Wall Sealant Gap @ Jamb/Sills

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Curtain Wall Sealant Gap @ Jamb/Sills

It wont work. The "Profile" isnt what you see, when its loaded in to the Mullion.

But i dont do Up/Down or Left/Right in Revit. I do End/OppEnd, because of the Mirror Tools, and draw direction.

We end up with 4 for each system. End (Closed/adjacent to glass), Opp End (adjacent to glass/Closed), Center (glass/glass), End (Closed/Closed).

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    It wont work. The "Profile" isnt what you see, when its loaded in to the Mullion.

But i dont do Up/Down or Left/Right in Revit. I do End/OppEnd, because of the Mirror Tools, and draw direction.

We end up with 4 for each system. End (Closed/adjacent to glass), Opp End (adjacent to glass/Closed), Center (glass/glass), End (Closed/Closed).
    for me the profile is what I see when it's loaded into a mullion as I don't add details at the family level. If I did it that way I'd have to have 100 different profiles for each system to cover all of the varying details. For instance, the curtain wall project that I'm currently working on has a 34' high frame that the left jamb contains 9 different conditions from bottom to top. The other jamb has 7 conditions, 4 of which are different than the left jamb. Hence I'm a Revit modeler but an A******d detailer. You guys don't have to worry about this level of detail because you leave it to me

Login to Give a bone

Thats what ours has, replete with a masing region so it can get detailed as necessary to conform with the adjacent consutrction. Plus, the profile "bumps" out slightly at the masing region, giving it the correct linework in elevation and detail.
    Aaron, how do you get a massing region into a Profile-Mullion.rft based curtain wall profile family? Or, do you use a different template?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones DDP View Post
    Aaron, how do you get a massing region into a Profile-Mullion.rft based curtain wall profile family? Or, do you use a different template?
    I think it was just a typo; I think Aaron meant to type "masking region", instead, which can be used indeed to obscure the additional width of end mullions in the project, (not in the family) and add some detail linework on top of that masking region.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by robert.manna View Post
    .... I don't like embedding DC's into mullions because you can never really turn off the mullion geometry so either way you have to do a bunch of legwork, and I find the legwork on top of the "basic" mullion is easier then dealing with the DC in the mullion.
    There is a way to turn off the model mullion and show only the detail component. Check this solution: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...82#post1100482

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    There is a way to turn off the model mullion and show only the detail component. Check this solution: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...82#post1100482
    No offense meant, but thats really not a good solution. First: "White" doesnt mean the line isnt there, it means the line is white. That only works for hiding the line, assuming youre printing on white paper, in color. If you set your colors to plot to black, that doesnt work. If you export to other softwares, that doesnt work. if there are objects behind or below the mullion, it doesnt work.

Plus, ive never found the need. It took us two passes at setting up our Mullions. The Profile and geometry is accurate, and the detail covers the rest. No need to hide anything.

The nested Detail Components work great.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

... That only works for hiding the line, assuming youre printing on white paper, in color.
    Well, most of the times I print on white paper, in color, even if there is no color in the drawing, so my white lines do disappear if I need, so it does work in most situations, unless there is another solution.

Login to Give a bone

Well as i said, i generally try to model them correctly so i dont need to hide the geometry. And i wasnt being snarky with the white paper comment, i apologize if it sounded that way. The reason i said white PAPER, was because of CAD exports, DWF, PDF, etc.

Plus, its great if you keep an offices standard plot styles set to plot color, but you need to mention that with the solution, because its a huge deal breaker. A lot of offices set drawings to plot black, so their logos dont come out lousy from gradients, etc.

Mullions are finicky, but- barring rediculous amounts of detail- i still fail to see how the exterior profile of the mullion is so bad that the modeled geometry needs to be turned off in a detail view.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    I think it was just a typo; I think Aaron meant to type "masking region", instead, which can be used indeed to obscure the additional width of end mullions in the project, (not in the family) and add some detail linework on top of that masking region.
    I knew he meant masking region...I did, really

OK, so that's how I'm doing it now, creating curtain walls to outside frame dimensions then adding a masking region to indicate the caulking joint width and using the outside of the MR for a dimension point. I don't use any linework other than the masking region.

It would be nice to be able to create them in the profile family but I haven't figured out how to do it that doesn't create havoc at some turn or the other

Login to Give a bone

As the thread starter, I thought I'd pipe in finally. I do the nesting DC's within the larger mullion profile and as Aaron said, then let the DC take care of any detailing that I need with Masking regions, linework, etc.

I also do the multiple configs simliar to Aarons way with respect to jambs/sills/heads.

So far it works out perfectly. No complaints.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast