Thread: Change the default viewport tag

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Change the default viewport tag

How do you change the default viewport tag so that every view I place on a sheet uses a particular tag? It seems like it should be a setting, like under Manage - Settings, but I don't see it.

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Change the default viewport tag

Don't worry, this took me a while to figure out too, you would think it would be there with the rest of the options, but it is in its own place.

-Select the Viewport tag that you want to change (which would most likely be on a sheet that you placed the view).
    -Select 'Element Properties' in the upper left corner.
    -Click the 'Edit Type' Button. (viewport titleblocks like everything else are a family with multiple types)
    - In the Type Properties box under the Title Parameter, there will be a drop down box listing all the viewport types listed in the project. Simply select the one you want.

I usually like to have 2 types in my project, one with the titleblock and the other without a titleblock.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the response. I hope my terminology is right here, but following the above, I still don't get the result I'm after. I have different 'types' within the family, and the Title field in the Element Properties dialog only allows me to pick the family but not the type within the family. After I place the view, I can simply change the instance property of the view title, but that's another step.

I tried opening the family and changing the type there....but even more confusion, I don't see any types in the family. Yet when I load the view title into my model, there are 4 types.

I don't know if this makes any sense but any help would be appreciated.

Jason

Login to Give a bone

The way I found to solve this was to take the default existing view title family and rename it and then edit it and then reload it in to the project.

This is a family within a family situation. There is the outer System family for the Viewport that has two types: "Title w Line" and "No Title". Then there is the inner family for the View Title that you can edit.

You can choose which inner View Title Family (customizable) is associated with each type of the outer System Family.

It seems like the problem is that you can't change which one is default, so the trick is to start with the default one and edit it to be the one you want as your default.

If you need more types, first create the inner View Title Family you want. Then you go in the outer Viewport family and duplicate the "Title w Line" type, rename it and then associate it with your new custom View Title Family that you create.
    Last edited by dlister; 2010-03-12 at 11:58 PM.