Thread: Linked Revit File - protocol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Linked Revit File - protocol

Our firm is working with another architecture firm on a project on which we are linking in each other's Revit files. Our structural consultant is also using Revit and we are linking this file in as well. Recently we have been getting an error stating, "Revit could not find or read 2 referenced files" and "Nested Link."

I suspect that we are getting this message because of circular links. When we receive updated Revit files from our consultants do I need to remove the link to our file first and detach the file from central? What is the proper protocol for preparing a consultant's file before linking it into your own Revit file?

Thank you in advance!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linked Revit File - protocol

Welcome to AUGI.
    When we exchange models with other consultants we audit, detach from central, then remove all links, and purge unused everytime we get an updated model. This keeps the message about files not being found and unloaded from appearing. It also cuts down the file size and helps to keep things running smoothly.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help!

Our firm is responsible for the interior of the project and our consultant is responsible for the exterior shell. When I open our central file to compact it I get an error message that, "multiple rooms are in the same enclosed region." This is happening, I assume, because there is something wrong with the link and the exterior walls are not being recognized.

Is this an error I should worry about or is this normal?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You'll need to either set their exterior model to be room bounding, its a check box under the properties of the link. Or draw room seperation links in your model. The first option doesn't always yeild the correct results so you may still need room seperation lines along with it.

A good way that I have learned to check out rooms overlapping is to go to the floor plan and in the visibilty/graphics setting under rooms turn on all three items. This will show each room with a color fill (light blue default) when rooms overlap the color gets darker as the number of rooms overlapping increases. Its a great visual tool to quickly find where the problems exist.
    Also depending on your floor to floor height you may have to watch for room volumes overlapping, it only beacomes an error if your floor to floor is less than Revit's default 10'-0" room height.